Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M o e Offline OP
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Permission granted to post in our forum:

January 31, 2007 - Oakland, CA - The National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance demands that the MetroWest Community Health Care Foundation immediately remove their billboards in Massachusetts targeting childhood obesity. NAAFA further demands that they cease all radio, television and print advertising in their campaign against fat children which promotes fear and hatred of larger bodies and body obsession in children ultimately leading to eating disorders.

Martin Cohen claims, "The campaign is directed at parents, not children..." Is Mr. Cohen insinuating that the children of Massachusetts are illiterate and incapable of reading billboards or understanding print and television advertising? Children are far more likely to be reading billboards than are their parents who are battling traffic.

Billboards depicting fat kids are extraordinarily harmful to the very kids they are supposedly trying to help. Fat children are already the targets of merciless bullying. This campaign simply gives the bullies permission to do more of the same.

NAAFA supports Health at Every Size (HAES). In the "war on obesity," we are the Peace Movement. HAES says that healthy habits are good for EVERYONE, no matter what their size. Eat healthy, nutritious foods and enjoy occasional treats. Pay attention to your natural hunger and satiety cues. Move your body in ways that feel good. And love yourself just the way you are! NAAFA challenges Metrowest to create an advertising campaign that encourages people of ALL sizes to eat healthy food, add movement to our lives and celebrate our differences.

Susan Green, who helped develop the campaign, said the health risk that gives her the greatest concern is an increase in depression among overweight children. Does Mrs. Green believe that seeing gigantic billboards describing their bodies as unacceptable and bad is supportive of positive mental health? Would it not be difficult to see your children depressed because they are not only bullied at school on a daily basis but are now made a public spectacle many times larger than life?

Contact NAAFA for a brochure called "Good News for Big Kids", written by Joanne Ikeda, a Mom, a wife, a University lecturer, a Registered Dietician, an author, and a teen rap group leader. This brochure will help kids and parents understand that all kids deserve love and respect regardless of their body size or shape. Every body is a good body. No one has the right to criticize your body.

Founded in 1969, the National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance (NAAFA) is a non-profit human rights organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for fat people. NAAFA works to eliminate discrimination based on body size and provide fat people with the tools for self-empowerment through public education, advocacy, and member support.

On the web:BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Koala
Koala
Adults tends to forget the words they use--even when they're not directly addressing children--carry a great deal of power. In this case, I think the campaign is likely to have a negative impact on children.

Focusing on healthy eating and getting physical is one thing; telling children how "bad" fat is (which they're likely to internalie and translate as "I must be a bad person because I'm fat") isn't a good idea at all.

BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
It's always been a problem that adults have with "talking over" children, like they aren't there to hear (or read in this case).

Putting this up on a billboard is very hurtful! Undoubtably these kids already hear it from classmates and their doctors. Now they have to walk down a street and wonder if everyone is laughing at them! I used to do that anyway, if there had been a billboard out - I might never have left my house! frown

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Parakeet
Parakeet
Yes, while I am all for campaigns to get kids active, I don't agree with these billboards.

N
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
N
Yes let's keep on ignoring there is a problem with obesity oh what am I saying being obese is healthy so there is no problem apparently!

Moderated by  Nicole - Large & Lovely 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.