logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M o e Offline OP
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
It still shocks me when I see comments suggesting that a person who is overweight or obese can't possibly be successful in any other areas of their lives. This to me is totally preposterous.

One has absolutely nothing to do with the other. There are successful overweight/obese people all over the world just like there are lots of unsuccessful skinny people.

I belonged to a professional women's groups a few years back that got together for dinner and networking. In the few years that I belonged, looking back I guess about half were either overweight or heavier. At the time (and now) I would never had considered a person's body weight as a reflection of their success.

Here's the discussion. What's funny is that it is on a discussion board for smart people. Thankfully, there were a few people who really had some sensible counter comments.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Zebra
Zebra
Moe, it's a sad fact that many people never look past their stereotypical ideas to see the truth in other people.

And, being overweight has a whole truckload of stereotypes attached to it.

And, evidently, the smart forum doesn't have an entrance exam!

Koala
Koala
hehehe I guess if you are smartenough to log in then you are smart enough to post in the smart forum!

the first post cracked me up!!!

5 out of 6 of my university's career counselors are obese, which is the first thing I noticed about them when I went in for some career counselling.

They told me a lot of the things I read in these forums, "reach for the stars", "go with what you like, go with your passions". O.K, not really bad advice, BUT, coming from a morbidly obese person, I just couldn't respect the advice as a "sage advice".

This pattern is familar. Those who can't seem to solve their own problems, attempt to solve other people's problems, attempt to tell other people how to live. Was it the counselor's "passion" to become a counselor, or was simply a psychological issue, their deep-seated need to feel like they are O.K, perhaps the thinking that made them counselors is that if they achieve a position where they advise other people, then logically they themselves must be O.K.

Personal example is very very important to me. Obesity, for me, seems to indicate something very psychologically troubling in the other person, it is an extreme of behavior, of eating.

That said, I wish people, even on an online forum, gave some physical, mental, social, economic, and philosophical description of themselves. I will do this personally whenever I post any kind of advice from now on, so people know exactly how to judge the merits of my advice. If the advice is not original, I will state the source.

(I have nothing against obese people, I simply wanted to point out the importance of personal example, it is not "wrong" to be obese, I don't think that).

Anyway, is it wrong for me to judge these counselors so negatively? The whole counseling session was just such an ardous, painful experience, I absolutely could not respect anything these people said. I couldn't really say "well, all your advice on living and working seems good, but do you realize that you are obese?".

For the sake of disclosure: I have NEVER been called a jerk. I do realize I sound like one in this post.

seems to me that this jerk is a little two faced its ok to be "MORBIDLY OBESE" just lose weight and then maybe I will respect your advice!

IS that not how that post boiled down to or is it just the fact that I am MORBEDLY FAT and that has clouded my fatted brain cells?
Doesnt that just make you want to set your food right down on he tiny little...
Oh look A TWINKY.... Oh Sorry Got to Go get fatter now bye!!!

Koala
Koala
oh i just read some of the other post and you are right some of them come back with some great comments and this jerk just diggs a hole for his self!!

M o e Offline OP
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
What I find funny is that anyone going to a career counselor would bad mouth them because they are obese and not worth taking their advice. Obviously they know what they are doing they do after all have a job as opposed to the guy sitting on the other side all jealous and all.

Koala
Koala
hehehe yeah! the crack about we should post our weight and looks and other info and someone comesback with this isnt a dating service we are here for a meeting of the minds..........I loved that but if it had been me I would have added maybe you should get career advice from match.com or someother dating service!!!
LMAO

M o e Offline OP
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Quote:
isnt a dating service we are here for a meeting of the minds.

Yeah, that was totally hilarious. smile

Koala
Koala
some times i wish everything was done online because that take out a lot of the prejustices!

Moderated by  Nicole - Large & Lovely 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.