Here's the latest from Liz Nickels from Big Adventures Scuba:

A number of people have been asking me about plans for upcoming Big Adventure trips. I should first say that Big Adventures is my hobby� bringing scuba to folks, especially plus sized women, who might not normally feel confident in giving it a try. During the past year or so my �day job� has been taking a lot of time, energy and attention. Additionally, I was looking for new and different scuba experiences to offer as Big Adventures. I�ve traveled and researched quite a bit in the last year, and think I am ready to provide you with a pretty interesting �menu.� I�ve also become a qualified SCUBA instructor.

I�d like to ask you to browse the different options I�ve suggested below and let me know what interests you. If you have something in mind that I don�t describe, let me know that too. I�ll see if I can come up with a custom plan for you.

Here are some ideas �

1) The �standard� Big Adventure � a week in Maui with a three day certification course for non-divers, followed by the rest of the week diving. A whole week of diving for those certified divers. A combination of boat and shore diving. Plus size women and their allies, building community, living together, supporting each other, and having loads of fun!

2) I have now found two possible locations in the SF (California) Bay area that have SCUBA appropriate pools. This means that it would be possible to complete the scuba course over a longer period of time, doing the skill building that is done in the first day and a half at the beach over a weekend or a few weeks in a swimming pool. Completing the course with a trip somewhere warm to do the open water certification dives.

3) Kona!! I have finally found a dive operator on the Big Island of Hawaii that has the boat and the skill to provide the service I demand for Big Adventurers. A trip to Kona would include a week of diving � some shore and some boat diving. The world famous Manta Ray Night Dive would be included. Perhaps a Black Water dive for the daring! We could preface this trip with a couple of days in the pool for those newbies to do their confined water skills, and then make the first few dives on the Big Island their open water certification dives. And, of course, plus size women and their allies, building community, living together, supporting each other, and having loads of fun!

4) Fiji � for the somewhat more intrepid traveler, I�ve become very familiar with a wonderful, �get away from it all� resort in Fiji that offers essentially unlimited diving. Divers would need a minimum of confined water work before this trip, and completed certification would be preferred. The facilities are lovely, the people incredibly friendly. The diving is world renowned.

5) Mexico � Cozumel � I�ll be going on another �check it out� trip this summer. After that time, I think I will be ready to take folks as a group� but certified divers only. Cozumel has some wonderful diving, but the currents can be strong and fast. There�s a possibility of adding snorkeling with Whale Sharks as a side excursion to this trip.

6) Belize � as a live aboard. An entire week aboard a ship dedicated to diving� All there is to do is dive, relax, eat, sleep, dive, relax, read, sun bathe, kayak if you wish, relax, dive, sit in the hot tub, eat, relax, sleep, dive�. You get the idea. Combine this trip with a couple of days of land based activities if you want to explore Central America�s English speaking gem! This is another trip where you could do pool work in advance and complete your certification dives once on board.

7) Some other custom package�. Would you like me to join you and your group in Hawaii for a weekend and offer dive guiding services? Would you like to arrange solo, private lessons? Would you like to see a travelogue of underwater photos (be careful of this one� you might be sorry!) Would you like me to offer opinions or suggestions about gear, learning to dive, what an octopus feels like? Would you like me to talk to you or your group about how learning to dive as a fat woman changed my life?

Send me a note! Tell me what interests you! If you have specific dates in mind and / or a budget in mind, let me know that too.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Liz NIckels, M.A. Psy.D.
Organizer, Big Adventures
Email: liznickels @ comcast.net (remove spaces)