Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
The holidays are fast approaching and with them comes gift giving. It can be hard to stay in a budget with all the gifts we wish to share with loved ones and friends.

So what are some frugal ways to give a gift that shows you care?

I have a few suggestions:

1. Home-baked brownies or cookies are a popular and frugal gift.

2. Create a special experience. Take that special someone on a long walk and then come back for cocoa or hot tea. Just spending time with your loved one can be more special than any gift you can give.

3. Chore coupons. Make up coupons to do chores or other tasks that your gift recipient hates to do. We can all use a little help with everyday tasks in our busy lives.

So what gift ideas do you have? Please share with us.

Sandra Baublitz, Investing/Home Finance Editor
Investing Website
Home Finance Website
Sandra Baublitz Author Webpage

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
I plan to do some salt clay handprint ornaments for my kids' grandparents. All of them are getting to the points in their lives where they have everything they could want and are starting to downsize, so stuff from their grandkids will be appreciated.
I was thinking of doing some spice mixes or rubs, perhaps baked cookies for people at work. I make pepperkrakor cookies every year for St. Lucia day. This year I may take some in to work.
I am also thinking about snatching up some wool sweaters from our free recycling areas, washing them in hot water to create boiled/felted wool, then cutting and sewing mittens. It is a local variation of sorts on Swedish lovikka mittens. They are VERY warm.
My cousins, siblings, aunts and uncles are the tough ones - I want to get them something nice, but I don't want to create credit card debt for myself. I will also have to mail these items, so shipping creates another expense. I am interested to see what else gets posted here!

Lisa Linnell-Olsen
Knitting Website
Knitting Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
The ornaments sound delightful.

What are pepperkrator cookies? I believe I've heard of them but never made them. They sound good.

I like your creativity with the mittens. I think anything homemade makes a wonderful gift.

What about sending photos - either framed or in a scrapbook? Maybe photos and stories of the family when your aunts and uncles were younger. Sort of like a short genealogy.

Investing Website
Home Finance Website

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Peperrkrakor cookies are a traditional Scandinavaian cookie made iwht clove, ginger and cinnamon. There are some recipes floating around on the web. It is a cookie that not everyone makes, yet has along history so I think it is good for gifts. They are also really good with plain tea or coffee - its like they bring out one anothers flavors.

Another idea for frugal gifts is homemade herbal cough drops. Bettina from our own Bellaonline.com's herbal site has posted instructions. Thoughtful and seasonally appropriate!
I like the scrapbook idea. I live far away from my extended family,s o keeping in touch is hard. Mini scrapbooks that are tailored to each family member is personal, can keep old memories alive and also be useful o keep in touch,more than just phone call or face book post.

Lisa Linnell-Olsen
Knitting Website
Knitting Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Those cookies sound delicious. I'll look up the recipe. I often make cookies for friends and family for the Holidays.

Bettina's herbal cough drops are a great idea. I would have to adjust the recipe though. I can't have sugar.

A table arrangement or decoration made with pine or other greens and pinecones and a bow could be an inexpensive gift. Especially it you live where you have access to nature.

One year I received an all-natural bird feeder. It was a pinecone covered in peanut butter and bird seeds with a string for hanging. The birds loved it and I had a wonderful time watching them eat.

Investing Website
Home Finance Website

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Oh, I my kids have made those before! another variation is to smear peanut butter on toilet paper or paper towel tube, then roll it in sunflower seeds. run string through the top for a hanger.
I saw a great tree ornament on Facebook where a star was formed out of cinnamon sticks, then a few greens and berries were attached. THat would be a nice ornament for both Christians and nature based pagans.

Lisa Linnell-Olsen
Knitting Website
Knitting Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
My fav gift to receive is a digital photo of the family.

I make cookies to give - put 12 in each ziplock bag and store in the freezer till needed.

I make doll clothes for my youngest granddaughter.

BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Lisa,

I like the star idea. I'm going to keep it in mind and try it. Maybe next year.

Investing Website
Home Finance Website

BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Susan,

What a wonderful gift to give your granddaughter!

My grandmother always made me crocheted items for gifts. She once crocheted me a turtle.

I truly cherish the items she made me and I think something made from the heart is the most meaningful.

Investing Website
Home Finance Website

BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
The holidays will be coming along quicker than we realize! Start thinking about gifting and frugality right now.

Remember that the price tag on a gift is essentially meaningless in terms of how much you care about someone. It's about thinking on the recipient and solving their needs/wants.

What ideas do you have for this year?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jilly 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.