Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#676994 04/10/11 06:54 PM
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor

Curious about the extraordinary savings you can set aside if you live in your car and forsake paying rent, utilities and mortgages completely? This ebook has every detail covered. It's an amazing look at extreme frugality.

Living in Cars Book Review

Have you ever had to live in your car? Would you do it?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Tiger
Tiger
Hey Jilly, the sad part of all this, is that there are folks in this recession that do not have a choice. Due to losing their homes, they have to live in their cars. Thank goodness they have one to live in and hopefully stay safer versus living on the streets.

Originally Posted By: Jilly

Curious about the extraordinary savings you can set aside if you live in your car and forsake paying rent, utilities and mortgages completely? This ebook has every detail covered. It's an amazing look at extreme frugality.

Living in Cars Book Review

Have you ever had to live in your car? Would you do it?

Last edited by Angela J. Shirley; 04/11/11 01:21 PM.
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I do admit to a certain non sympathy for people forced to live in their cars, since I have done it quite often and even enjoy it. Like you, I think it's far safer and warmer and more dignified than living in the streets. A car can totally be a home, and I think living in a shelter seems a little more desperate.

What is hard is the attitude cops have towards people living in their cars. The economy has become so difficult to survive that I don't see why car living is not more accepted. It's a shame people have go be hassled if they are staying quiet and not making a mess.

Some communities actually have car lots set aside now for car dwellers. Some are even women-only for safety reasons. I think that is a kinder answer than just making people have to hide and move along and be treated like a criminal. smile

Tiger
Tiger
Wow Jilly, I didnot know all this. So what about restrooms? That would be my only concern as a lot of places now post signs that say "No Public Restrooms"... Now the fast foods have to let you in (lol) - but one cannot always guarantee you will be homeless near one!

I do admit to a certain non sympathy for people forced to live in their cars, since I have done it quite often and even enjoy it. Like you, I think it's far safer and warmer and more dignified than living in the streets. A car can totally be a home, and I think living in a shelter seems a little more desperate.

What is hard is the attitude cops have towards people living in their cars. The economy has become so difficult to survive that I don't see why car living is not more accepted. It's a shame people have go be hassled if they are staying quiet and not making a mess.

Some communities actually have car lots set aside now for car dwellers. Some are even women-only for safety reasons. I think that is a kinder answer than just making people have to hide and move along and be treated like a criminal. smile

Last edited by Angela J. Shirley; 04/15/11 04:35 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
There is a movie called "It was a wonderful life" with Jodie Foster, it is about homeless women who live in their cars. I found it very informative.

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Tina, I will have to see that movie - thank you for the tip.

I did see a movie about a girl who lived in a WalMart for a few months. I do think that is a cool idea in theory. smile

Angela, one can actually use what is known as a 'pickle jar' - a word for any wide mouthed sealable containers - in a car living situation. I've had to use that technique while camping quite often. Sometimes you just don't want to get out of the tent, for whatever reason. smile

If you travel with baby wipes, you can be as clean and sanitary as you like.

Tiger
Tiger
LOL Jilly, I can just see me missing the opening of the jar. YES, I swear by those wipes and keep them on hand. I know WalMart use to allow overnight camping, not sure if all of them do. I guess they are concerned about folks making it permanent smile

Tina, I will have to see that movie - thank you for the tip.

I did see a movie about a girl who lived in a WalMart for a few months. I do think that is a cool idea in theory. smile

Angela, one can actually use what is known as a 'pickle jar' - a word for any wide mouthed sealable containers - in a car living situation. I've had to use that technique while camping quite often. Sometimes you just don't want to get out of the tent, for whatever reason. smile

If you travel with baby wipes, you can be as clean and sanitary as you like.

Last edited by Angela J. Shirley; 04/20/11 01:04 PM.
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Angela...from personal experience, you only miss the jar's opening ONCE...I say no more. :P

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
OH, and I have a lot to say on the subject of wal mart overnighting...will write that up soon!

Tiger
Tiger
LOL Jill, looking forward to reading your info smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jilly 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.