Print Thread
#766087 06/03/12 01:55 AM
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Debt is never a fun topic. Getting out of debt does feel good, though! That's probably the most positive thing i can say about it. smile

There are all kinds of debt - credit cards, student loans, bank loans, family loans, revolving loans, mortgages...loan shark loans...

Sorry, i know this is getting stressful again.

The best thing, of course, is not getting into debt in the first place. But for everyone for whom that thought is a nice fantasy, the best thing you can do is sigh and pay things off.

A lot of books suggest ways to make this easier. You can tackle the smaller ones first and get a sense of momentum going. You can pay more than the minimum on all of them at once, to get paid off sooner and pay less interest overall. Or you can take on extra work and really tackle that huge, overwhelming looming big debt.

Have you ever paid off a debt? How did you do it?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Jilly #766095 06/03/12 02:51 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
I had everything paid off except my student loans, and it felt good. Did a debt snowballl and it took a few years, but got it all paid off. Yay!

Lisa Linnell-Olsen
Knitting Website
Knitting Forum
Jilly #766099 06/03/12 04:04 AM
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Lisa, big congrats on working your way out of debt! That is a mighty achievement and you should feel very proud of yourself. Gold stars!

Can you describe the debt snowball technique? I think i know what you're talking about, but i'd love for you to share your experiences!

Last edited by Jilly; 06/03/12 04:05 AM.
Jilly #766133 06/03/12 12:38 PM
D
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
D
Sometimes you get into debt just trying to survive when you have emergencies or life changing events. It may be what keeps your lights on and food on the table.

I was debt free more than once in my life. It was a great feeling.

Debbie Grejdus
Spirituality Site Editor
Spirituality Forum Moderator
Jilly #766192 06/03/12 08:51 PM
B
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
B
Hi Jilly, I have to agree with Debbie's comment above. When our life did a 360 we had to do whatever we could to keep a roof over our heads and food on the table.

My goal is to become debt free too...and I am optimist that once I find work and things settle down, I can work towards that goal. Oh that will be a wonderful feeling!

Bettina Thomas-Smith, Herbs Editor
Herbs Website
Dogs Website
Dogs Forum
My Website

Jilly #766193 06/03/12 09:44 PM
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I am really lucky that I don't have any credit cards. I'd surely use them if i did.

So i don't have any debt there. My student loans worry me a great deal. There was only one period of my life where i was able to pay them. Now I just avoid looking at my mail. wink

I would get into debt if i had to, to keep my home. I do have a mortgage. I try not to think of that as a debt so much as a trade. It's not like a lay-away; i do get to live here while i pay it off. smile

WARNING: Crazytown babbling ahead -

I've been really thinking about the "food on the table" idea, and i did want to mention that (even without food stamps) there is a ton of free food to be had with food banks/food pantries. This is food that is donated by the community for those in need, and also by local grocery places that are pulling things off the shelves (bc they are near the sell by date, or they are overstocked).

This is certainly a valid emergency idea. No one looks down on others for having hard times. I've found, in a 12 mile radius, over a dozen sources of very nice food boxes with good food staples in them.

My sister, for some reason, won't apply for food stamps. And i doubt she'd go to a food bank, even though this is food available to her by the community. I don't understand her reasoning. If she felt bad about taking charity, she could always donate food to them when her circumstances were improved, and keep the cycle going. This is what those agencies are for - to help people get through a crisis. I'd hate to see her take on debt for something she doesn't have to.

Especially in this economy, there should be no stigma in going through hard times. I almost feel like there is a brotherhood between everyone right now, since so many are suffering.

Anyway, that's food. Health is something very different. I can totally see going into debt over health issues. There are free clinics for small things...but for a serious illness, you want the entire gamut of high end services available.

A mortgage is considered 'good debt', as are 'student loans', even though they don't feel very good. I'd like to own my home outright, but i wanted to ensure i had the smallest possible monthly payment. If i had the chance to pay off the mortgage early I would. I don't feel it looming over me, though, since the monthly is so small.

What else is crucial? Heat when it is cold, and coolness when it gets too hot. Lights and other electrical expenses to me are actually not necessities. There is a lot of food out there that doesn't need to be cooked to eat, or kept frozen. If I had to, i absolutely would use a cooler to finish up my perishables and them eat temperature-stable food for as long as it took. I'd use a propane camp stove to cook, if it came to it.

Clean water - enough to drink, clean and cook with, or keep alive a garden that feeds you. Watering a lawn or cleaning a car are not necessities, IMO.

Those are my thoughts. I know most people will find a lot of this insane. I just remind myself that all these modern extras are first world conveniences. People all over the world and throughout time have thrived without them. They just made do.

I am making do without hot water because I can't afford propane. It's not a hardship for me. I'm not even saving up for a tankless water heater, since i have found workarounds to live with.

Am i saying everyone should cut off all their utilities until they are financially able to take them on? No. I might be lynched if i suggested that!

But I did want to point out that there are choices, and we make them.

I am choosing to have internet service. It's $36 a month, which is a LOT to me. But since I have food stamps and use food banks, have no trash service or propane, and have a free government phone, and charity assistance on my electric bill, then i keep the internet going. For now. I won't hesitate to chop that off if i have to. And I am ready to cut off the water as well and fill up from 25 cent kiosks for drinking/cooking water.

I can also choose not to drive, and take the insurance off the car for as long as i needed. Not that i would want to do this, but i could.

The only things I HAVE to pay are the mortgage, and the sewer bill, and the cat food (okay, I could give up the cats but i'd give up everything else first since they are my responsibility).

Please don't flame me; I am honestly not suggesting people do this to get out of debt. It's asking too much of people, i think. But that's my take on it in my life. I don't have kids to worry about and i don't care what the Joneses think.

And I don't mind camping, even in my own house. smile

Moderated by  Jilly 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.