Print Thread
#374117 02/09/08 09:32 PM
R
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
R
Good topic, Jay.

I was a gamer for 14 years before I went to my first convention. I went by myself, but I still had a good time, met some cool people and got to check out some neat stuff at the dealer tables. Now I've been to GenCon a couple of times, a variety of local cons, I've been a vendor at several, and I've even hosted a convention one year.

To add a bit more detail, there's something even smaller than a local con. Game stores sometimes offer a "game day", which is where they try to host as many games as they can fit into their space over the course of a single day. These events are usually free but a good way to get your feet wet.

Local cons might run $10 to $20--less if they're strictly games and at a cheap site, more if they're at a real hotel and feature a vendor room and stuff, too. Besides using search engines, you can find them by checking out upcoming events from your favorite publisher's website. As Jay mentioned, Steve Jackson Games is good for that. If they sent prize support, they almost certainly mention the event.

Mid-sized cons have a couple of thousand people and usually have something cool besides games & vendors. They might have guests, including actors, writers, game designers, or whatever. They probably have panels, seminars, and other activities. They can run $20 to $50.

The big cons, of which GenCon is the biggest, feature tens of thousands of gamers, massive halls of publishers, top-name artists, actors, most game designers in the industry, tournaments, shows, and virtually any event you can think of. The events list at GenCon is over 2,000 items long. These bad boys cost $50 or $60 up to about $80 now, I think, for GenCon.

At most conventions, you can get in cheaper or free by volunteering to run games or maybe by volunteering to help out at the con.

Lloyd Brown
www.lloydwrites.com
Sponsored Post Advertisement
RPG_Lloyd #374120 02/09/08 09:57 PM
Shark
Shark
Thanks for the addition of the local game days, Lloyd! They're also a great way to meet some of the local gamers.

I noticed that this year Origins is running a $1 per day visitor's pass. That gets you into the dealers hall and lets you wander around and get the feel of what it's all like. It's a great way to take a look at what's going on before you decide if you want to actually try any of the games.

And the dealers hall usually has game demos, so you can sneakily play some games by getting the company reps to demo them to you.

Originally Posted By: RPG_Lloyd
Now I've been to GenCon a couple of times, a variety of local cons, I've been a vendor at several, and I've even hosted a convention one year.

That's quite the chore, hosting a convention!

Last edited by Jay - RPG; 02/09/08 09:58 PM.
Amoeba
Amoeba
Well i have been to few myself, even made a presentation of l5r rpg & ccg . I had an interview taken... The good thing is that you meet other people who share the same hobbies with you. On the down side i have never been the best choice for crowded places ; my micranes don't make me a good companion but not to use them as an excuse i am a quiet guy be nature.

Fool to the Queen of stories * Student of FuFu * Evil l5r GM
Male*Cute*Young Looking*Little Philosopher

"For the Queen of stories"

Moderated by  Leif - Role Playing Games 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
MyHeritage & OldNews
by Angie - 03/16/24 09:15 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/16/24 08:27 AM
Denmark's Oscar Entry "The Promised Land"
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/15/24 08:51 PM
Stunning jewelry by Devon Leigh
by sarae - 03/15/24 12:58 PM
From Candlemas to March Equinox
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:35 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:12 PM
A Lenten Reflection
by Angie - 03/13/24 09:24 PM
Stitching by Hand
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/13/24 04:21 PM
Lucy Lawless Directs New Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/12/24 05:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/10/24 03:09 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.