Next Thread
Print Thread
#782465 09/13/12 03:37 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
While parking your RV in the nearest big parking lot with a huge for sale sign on it is one way to sell your rig, there are several other popular ways to go about it as well.

How to Sell Your RV

Erin Lehn Floresca
BellaOnline RV Editor
RV.BellaOnline.com
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
I've been wanting to do consignment for my RV. How do i get started on that? it seems overwhelming but at least I would not have to do sales myself.

BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
Hey Jill! It's actually quite underwhelming. The worst part is that your RV is sitting at some dealership and you don't have any idea if it is going to sell or not. I Googled "consign RVs Portland" to see what dealerships around here actually bought RVs. I also did a Google search with just "consign RVs" and founds several out of state. There is a huge one in SoCal called Giant RV that buys and consigns RVs. Plus, there are many in Arizona as well. You just have to pick somebody that you want to work with, and hope that the right buyers hop on their lot to buy your rig.

Erin Lehn Floresca
BellaOnline RV Editor
RV.BellaOnline.com
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I would love to get this behemoth out of my driveway.

How clean does it have to be to bring to the dealership?
Does it have to be registered and insured while it it there?
Do I need to fix things that need maintenance?
How long can it be at a dealership?
How much of a price do they tend to sell these for, and how much percentages do they keep?
Will they do an exterior cleaning?
do they all have different set ups and i need to call a variety to see what is the best deal?
Do i need to fill the gas, water and propane tanks?

These are the things that make me afraid to even make some phone calls. I am going to sound like an idiot asking these things. frown

Last edited by Jilly; 10/16/12 05:04 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
Don't worry about sounding like an idiot asking all of those questions. smile

I've recently gone through a few things where it was my first time of doing it, including putting the RV up for consignment, and I let them know right up front that I've never done it before so please excuse me in case I do need to ask a lot of questions or I don't quite understand.

You should clean the RV up as much as possible so that the dealer is interested in even taking a look at it. That being said, they will detail it before it goes on their lot too.

I will let you know of my experience and see if that helps. We did clean it up as much as possible as though we were selling it ourselves. The dealer did some repairs on it and charged us for those repairs before we could consign it. We were instructed to keep it registered and insured until it was sold. No need to fill the water tank. You could probably keep a little bit of fuel in there and propane, but not much. Don't worry about filling those.

Many dealerships will work with you on a cash value that they will give you. So, say you would be happy if you could get $20K out of your rig, then you sign a paper with them that says that is what they will pay you. Then, they get to charge whatever they want on top of that to sell the RV. This is the style that the RV dealership we used does.

Some will list the price of the RV at 45K, and then take a certain percentage of whatever it sells for.

You would want to call around and ask some folks, but don't be shy. Just tell them your situation. Tell them your RVing needs have changed over the years and you have an RV that you aren't using anymore and that you want to know the benefits of consigning an RV with that particular dealership.

I spoke to a guy named Gunter at Giant RV in California and he was SUPER friendly and easy to chat with. I would have totally taken my RV to them if I lived closer. Call them and see if you can chat with Gunter. If he can't consign it for you, I bet he would be able to lead you in the right direction. smile

We signed a 90 day agreement. Once the 90 days are up, we could get our RV back again or sign another 90 day agreement.

Erin Lehn Floresca
BellaOnline RV Editor
RV.BellaOnline.com

Moderated by  RV Editor Erin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.