logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
In the near future it's looking like I'm going to be sleeping in my truck on the road more than the occasional night and while sleeping in the cab is fine for that, I think I need something a little more comfortable (and possibly warmer.) I have a basic shell on my truck and it's big enough to sit up comfortably and long enough for me to sleep on my side like I usually do. So I was thinking that I could convert it for more comfortable sleeping. I have a couple questions:

What is the best way to add some insulation to my shell?
I've been thinking about both spray foam and reflective insulation. But I wonder if the spray foam would crack and fall apart from shaking as I drive.

Do I need to put plywood over the ridges in the floor or will an air mattress (some kids ones are the right length) or foam cover them up enough?

Any other suggestions for doing this?

Julie

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
I wasn�t quite sure how to answer your question, so I asked my dad and here was what he said. Most late model pick ups have notches on the inside of the bed that serve as a resting point to have three 2X4's laid across the bed at the height of the fender wells. This allows for the driver to lay a 4 X 8 sheet of plywood across the bed to make a sleeping platform. Camping gear, clothes, etc. can be stowed below the sleeping platform as well as carpet with padding to insulate the bottom of the truck bed. As far as insulating the shell itself, the simplest method would be to buy bead board or foam board at Home Depot. It comes in 4 X 8 sheets and can be glued to the inside of the shell after cutting it to fit. Care must be taken to use glue that will not melt the styrofoam insulation. A preferred method would be to frame out the inside of the shell with 2 X 2's and use batt insulation and then cover it with paneling. This involves some skilled carpentry work and is not for the unskilled.

Most spray foam insulation is quite toxic, so if you are looking into that method, make sure to spend some extra money and purchase only non-toxic stuff; that is way too small of a space for you to be breathing in anything bad for you.

Erin Lehn Floresca
BellaOnline RV Editor
RV.BellaOnline.com
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I've spent many years in my 20s living in the back of my pickup and the best thing i have found are these ideas:

- a thick foam to stay on the floor of the truck. Put sheets and blankets and pillows in there for full warmth and comfort. Flannel is perfect.

- make thick, warm blackout curtains for the shell windows and hang up with velcro

- Sleep with a hat on and warm fuzzy socks

- sleep with a pet if you have one

- sleep with a nalgene bottle filled with hot water.

-

Moderated by  RV Editor Erin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.