logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
Evidence of Native American peoples, all hunter-gatherers, places the tribes in the Appalachian over 12,000 years ago. In the 16th century, the de Soto and Juan Pardo expeditions explored the mountains of South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Georgia, and encountered complex agrarian societies populated by Muskogean-speaking inhabitants.

By the time English explorers arrived in Appalachia in the late 17th century, the central part of the region was controlled by Algonquian tribes (namely the Shawnee) and the southern part of the region was controlled by the Cherokee.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
Cool Phyllis! A friend of mine lives in South Carolina, and LOVES driving to the Appalachians to camp out and do magical rituals! She says it's the most amazing place she's ever been.

Deanna Joseph

Visit the New Age Site and Forums

What are your Soul Gifts? Discover your true nature and potential, and learn who you are on a Soul Level with a Soul Realignmentâ„¢ reading.

OP Offline
I would love to visit that area. There is so much history there to explore. What interests me the most is the relations the Europeans had with the Cherokee. From what I read a long time ago, they got along very well. That would be some interesting research to delve into.

My priority is finishing my two books, so I do not have the time to look into it for quite awhile, not this year anyway.

So, where does your friend go to for the magic rituals? Is it shamanic? That has always interested me, too.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
I'm not sure where she goes. I just know it's to that mountain range. She's a practicing witch, so I'm sure she finds much there to inspire her!

There are so many place I want to visit Phyllis! And now the Appalachians are one of them too LOL!!

Deanna Joseph

Visit the New Age Site and Forums

What are your Soul Gifts? Discover your true nature and potential, and learn who you are on a Soul Level with a Soul Realignmentâ„¢ reading.

A
Parakeet
Parakeet
A
I look at the spiritual side of each situation that I encounter and it speaks back to me. The areas in the Appalachians that you talk about is indeed very magical!!!

If one has ever read the Foxfire books they describe the customs and lore of that area from the very early years to the 1970s when the series was written. These mountain folks were for the most part very hardy, kind, hardworking people. They shared their lives with each other in a way that many people today long to do. They went together to harvest activities, corn shuckins, singins, which I used to really like, and chiveries which we still, yet very rarely have to this day in my area.

They shared with each other and had a love and concern that was healing in itself. Most of those old timers are now gone but an interesting phenomena is happening today. In the Franklin, North Carolina area and all around there gems and stones of very high quality are being mined and found by common ordinary people in certain areas. I could not understand how such a remote area could produce such vast amounts of wealth and anybody can luck into them just by going and investigating the site. I watched a special about it on the T.V.

Then it dawned upon me; The old "gems" went into the ground years ago and now their worth and ever sustaining value to humanity is resurfacing. Genuineness, kindness, and friendship, though buried, returns to produce a benefit to all who seek it. Yes, that area is full of magic and beauty and a valuable lesson. dave

OP Offline
I have not read the Foxfire books, but have been finding out about them through research. I would love to get the whole series. To read about life in the Appalachia areas from folks who lived there all their lives would be a wonderful gift.

I have been been studying about this area for a few years now and it just fascinates me. I found a video on YouTube about an old guy who still made 180 proof the old fashioned way. It is quite interesting to watch.

The simplicity of life in the old days is what originally attracted me to the Appalachia areas. Corn shuckin' and chicken pluckin' was a big thing back home when I was a kid. The whole family got involved in those tasks.

The gems of the past come forth when we stop long enough to see and hear them. The love and support those folks gave to each other most definitely was a way of healing. What power, what a blessed gift they had.

I would love to see the special you saw on TV, Dave. Do you remember the name of it?

Phyllis Doyle Burns
A
Parakeet
Parakeet
A
"""""The gems of the past come forth when we stop long enough to see and hear them. The love and support those folks gave to each other most definitely was a way of healing. What power, what a blessed gift they had.""""" So true Phyllis!!!! What excellent words!!! There is no greater gift than truly life giving love. It will never be removed, not in this lifetime or the next. Phyllis, I am sorry I don't remember the name of the special that I saw on the tube but if you look up Franklin, N.C. on the net you will see its present claim to fame. In these days it seems to some that love is a foreign word and even as if it was a weakness. That is probably because it, in its purest form, eludes such beings. All that I have is my breath today, just as these incredible Appalachian folks did, and it is with this knowledge that I will make it the best day that I can live!! dave

OP Offline
"All that I have is my breath today, just as these incredible Appalachian folks did, and it is with this knowledge that I will make it the best day that I can live!!" dave

Beautiful! Blessed Be...Phyllis

Phyllis Doyle Burns
OP Offline
I am in the process of researching more early history of Appalachian regions and the people. This is such a fascinating subject!

Sadly, much of the way of life of the traditional mountain folk is fading away. Even their unique language is changing due to radio, TV, the internet and new people moving into the areas. There are still some folks though who hang on to their mountain talk.

If you look on YouTube for Popcorn Sutton, you will hear a lot of mountain talk.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: ancientflaxman
"""""The gems of the past come forth when we stop long enough to see and hear them. The love and support those folks gave to each other most definitely was a way of healing. What power, what a blessed gift they had.""""" So true Phyllis!!!! What excellent words!!! There is no greater gift than truly life giving love. It will never be removed, not in this lifetime or the next. Phyllis, I am sorry I don't remember the name of the special that I saw on the tube but if you look up Franklin, N.C. on the net you will see its present claim to fame. In these days it seems to some that love is a foreign word and even as if it was a weakness. That is probably because it, in its purest form, eludes such beings. All that I have is my breath today, just as these incredible Appalachian folks did, and it is with this knowledge that I will make it the best day that I can live!! dave

Dave, the more I research and read about the Appalachian folks of the past, the more I feel the spirituality that they had. They lived simply, without much material treasures. Maybe one little cherished item meant a lot to someone because of dear memories -- but, their greatest treasures were within them.

I love peeking into the history of these remarkable folks who settled in those regions.

I think Love is the most powerful energy on Earth. When I am filled with love all is right in the world.

Last edited by Phyllis - Appalachia; 12/15/11 09:54 PM.

Phyllis Doyle Burns

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.