logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Hi, everyone!
Today's article is about getting ready for back-to-school time (August 20 for my girls) when you have kids w/asthma.

Most public school policies about inhalers aren't written in a way to make parents think they have options. However, many state laws DO allow a choice for your child's inhaler use/storage in school. Read more here:

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Koala
Koala
The CDC list is a little out of date. Texas has permitted this for a while now.

HB 1688 (77th Texas Legislature) covers the right of the student to possess and self-administer prescription asthma medicine. A student may possess and self-administer asthma medicine on school
property or at a school-related event if the student has written permission from the student's parent and the student's physician or licensed health care provider. HB 1688 defines parent to include a person standing in parental relation. A natural or adoptive parent, legal guardian, foster parent, surrogate parent under IDEA, a person having control of a child under a court order, or other person the district recognizes to make decisions for the student would qualify as a parent under HB 1688. A student 18 years of age may give permission for himself to use an asthma inhaler. The student's physician statement must be kept on file in the school nurse's office of the campus the student attends. If there is no school nurse, the statement must be kept in the office of the principal of the campus the
student attends. HB 1688 creates an exception to the mandatory discipline provisions in Chapter 37 of the Texas Education Code
related to possession and usage of a controlled substance. Students may not be removed or expelled from school for possession and self- administering prescription asthma medications as long as the procedures set out in HB 1688 are followed. Attached is a list of guidelines required by HB 1688 for students, parents and schools to follow.

If you would like a copy of HB 1688, you may obtain a copy on-line at the following address:BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Thanks, Lynne! I'm going to look around and see if I can find a more recent listing.

J
Koala
Koala
J
I remember when my kids were in school, one time I had to take off work and go down and give my daughter an aspirin!

Thanks for the great article!

Lynn, I live in TX too and have grandchildren now so I'm glad to know the law here.

Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Hi there, and thanks. smile
Even my mom, a teacher here in FL, did not know our state's school inhaler laws. She (and the other teachers in her school) have always just assumed that elementary-age public school kids could not legally carry their own asthma meds. But then, I've noticed public schools tend to imply an awful lot, not just about health, rather than volunteer specific, legal information. (I've run into the same attitude when dealing with gifted testing.)

Moderated by  Sherry-Asthma 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.