Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
Have you ever thought about using a mental hospital in your story? The reasons people were admitted to these institutions suggest many different story ideas, as does the ways they were treated. And there were some who treated the supposed mentally disabled in ways that were not so nice.

Many of these institutions are said to be haunted. The Danvers State Hospital in Massachusetts and the Waverly Hills Sanatorium in Kentucky are two such places. These two hospitals, no longer open for patients, are only open for tours. What happened behind these walls?

Danvers State Hospital & Waverly Hills Sanatorium

Lisa Binion
Fiction Writing

Sponsored Post Advertisement
T
Shark
Shark
T
Thanks for sharing, Lisa. I have read a lot about what went on in some of these asylums, scary stuff. My NaNoWriMo entry will mention an asylum as well.

T
Shark
Shark
T
Did you know that Danvers was originally Salem Village and the asylum was built on Hathorne Hill where the house of Salem witch trial judge John Hathorne once stood?

Last edited by Clare - Greek Food; 10/28/12 08:08 AM.

BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
Yeah, I remember reading that in m research. I wonder if the ghost of John Hathorne haunts this place along with those who died there?

Lisa Binion
Fiction Writing

T
Shark
Shark
T
You never know. I have seen articles that suggest Danvers was one of the most haunted asylums. A large majority of the building has been torn down and apartments were built in its place. Wonder if the residents hear or see anything strange.

Last edited by Clare - Greek Food; 10/28/12 05:26 PM.

BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
As huge as the lists of haunted hospitals I looked was, it is hard to believe you can find one that isn't haunted. I don't think I would want to live in the apartments that were built on this site, although it would be great research! And it would be awesome to talk to some of the residents to see if they have noticed any unusual happenings.

The list of haunted hospitals I have is so long that I will be doing more articles on them. I'm not sure if I can wait until next October to feature them, so you may be seeing some a lot sooner.

Lisa Binion
Fiction Writing

T
Shark
Shark
T
Living on a site where an asylum had been would be creepy but definitely a unique experience. A tv series was produced over here and it involved the residents that lived in apartments where an asylum once stood and focused on the ghosts which haunted the buildings. Have you heard of this?

T
Shark
Shark
T
I look forward to seeing more of your work very soon smile

BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
I've not heard of the tv series, but it sounds as though it would be interesting. I don't have cable or satellite, so I watch everything on DVD. One day I might be lucky enough to have an internet connection with no download limit. Then I'll be able to watch stuff like that online.

And thank you. smile I look forward to researching more haunted hospitals. I also plan on looking into other haunted sites, such as schools, museums, libraries, etc. The list is so unbelievable long that I'm starting to think every home, building, and business is haunted.

Lisa Binion
Fiction Writing

T
Shark
Shark
T
If you ever get a chance to see it, the show is called Bedlam. Been watching and its really spooky.

Definitely want to hear about more haunted sites, always interesting to read. I think the same, any building that is a good age might have ghosts. One house I lived in had all sorts of items buried in the garden, like dogtags, bottles and pottery. I've seen and heard strange things in recent years.

Last edited by Clare - Greek Food; 10/29/12 04:33 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Val FictionWrit/RomanceBk 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.