Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
The internet was full of people announcing confidently that this story was proof of extraterrestrials:

I suppose the cynics would understand why some astronomers are searching for intelligent life out in the cosmos. After all, there seems to be a scarcity of it on Earth these days. wink

However there are serious astronomers engaged in this area. I know some of them. But they realize that they need to make a careful evaluation of evidence before assuming alien intelligence is involved.

In May last year, astronomers using a Russian telescope found an interesting radio signal coming from around a star 94 light years from Earth. The signal didn't seem to be random. They said it was consistent with what you might expect from an alien civilization. (I admit to my ignorance here of what might look like something produced by an alien civilization.) But they thought it was likely to have a more ordinary explanation.

Recently, the signal was reported as almost certainly a military satellite.

If you want to know more, here is a story from Space.com.

Last edited by Mona - Astronomy; 11/13/16 12:45 PM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
This story is an example of an outright hoax.

There are a number of sources of the story. Here is one version.
Quote:
We have come across many reports regarding earth and its changes in recent times and not many materialize. However, this time NASA has confirmed that earth will experience total darkness for 15 days in November 2016 starting from November 15 to November 29.

Of course, NASA has said no such thing. And it occurred to me that for someone living in the far north, this would just be business-as-usual for the time of year. In Hammerfest, Norway, the Sun will set on the morning of the 19th and not rise again until the 22nd of January.

But really, this general darkness thing isn't going to happen. The explanations of it seem to vary from site to site, but all of them are ridiculous. Fortunately, you don't have to take my word for it. Today is November 13th, so you don't have long to wait to see for yourself. smile

Mona - Astronomy #924392 11/14/17 03:38 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Quote:
We at EarthSky are receiving questions about the so-called days of darkness supposedly announced by NASA and supposedly coming up November 15-30, 2017.

Did NASA announce it? No.

Will it happen? No.

The previous post in this thread was from this time last year? Do you remember 15 days of darkness? Of course not, it didn't happen. So is it likely to happen this year?

Moderated by  Mona - Astronomy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.