Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
The International Space Station (ISS) was 15 this week. For a quick overview of what's what with the ISS, have a look at the infographic prepared by NASA for the occasion.

Last edited by Mona - Astronomy; 11/24/13 09:39 AM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
The Space Station is easily visible - if the sky is clear - even in a city. It's quite bright. If you want to know when it will make a good pass overhead where you live, you can sign up for email alerts.

Remember some of the passes over your town will be during the day when you can't see it, or perhaps too low. And, of course, its orbit varies, so you may get a run of good passes and a long period of no passes. For the last few weeks the ISS has made plenty of passes over where I live, but I couldn't see them . . . because I had my eyes closed. Way too early in the morning for me!

Last edited by Mona - Astronomy; 11/24/13 09:41 AM.
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
There is a fascinating film about the earliest days of the Space Station. It's an IMAX film in 3D, and looking down on Earth may be the closest most of us ever get to seeing this amazing view.

I've seen the movie so many times I can still recognize at once the astronauts and cosmonauts who were on the station during the filming - plus a shuttle crew. (BTW this isn't a personal obsession. I used to take school groups.)

Space Station 3D - film review

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
I am bowled over by this fantastic cake showing the International Space Station. I wonder if it tasted as good as it looks. I don't think I could bear to cut into it. It would certainly be a great fifteenth birthday celebration cake.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Starting on December 6, NASA will show the ISS to the public in new ways. They will highlight the scientific research, new technology testing and the wonder of living and working in space. “Space Station Live” will now be in a 30-minute format, but still aired weekdays at 11 a.m. EST. A new weekly web series "Space to Ground" will be available Fridays on NASA's social media accounts – the public will be able to download and share them.

I think maybe Canadian astronaut Chris Hadfield has inspired them - loved his tweets, photos and videos.

Moderated by  Mona - Astronomy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.