Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
The Crab Nebula is M1 and the Andromeda Galaxy is M31. Over a hundred deep-sky objects with "M" numbers are listed in the Messier Catalogue. Charles Messier, 18th-century comet hunter, is known today less for his comets and more for his catalog of things that aren't comets.

Charles Messier – Comet Ferret

Last edited by Mona - Astronomy; 06/29/17 09:46 PM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
I wonder sometimes how Messier would feel about his astronomical fame being based not on his prowess as a comet hunter, but on his catalogue of distractions. He never showed any interest in these "nebulae" or seemed to speculate about what they were. However the Herschels carried out a major survey of the deep-sky objects, cataloging nearly 2500 of them.

Besides William Herschel's interest in them, he had the further advantage of a very large reflecting telescope designed to show quite dim objects and a wide area of sky. Here is Herschel's 20-foot reflector with which he carried out the sky survey. (The tube was 20 ft long.)

Messier did his observing with a 4- inch refracting telescope. You can see that the tube is long - the 4" (100 mm) is the size of the aperture (opening).

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
A mystery.

A portrait of Messier, aged 40, .

Distinguished astronomer and historian of science Owen Gingerich took a photo of the original painting (in private hands) and identified it as painted by Desportes in March 1771. Gingerich further said that
Quote:
Charles Messier commented on the back of the portrait, "This portrait is a good likeness, except that I appear younger than I am, and I have been given a better expression than I have."

Interesting, because the only French painter Desportes I could find was Alexandre-François Desportes who specialized in animal paintings. He died when Messier was 13.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Some sources still tell the discredited story that Messier was so keen on the comets that he was annoyed to miss out on one as he was at the bedside of his dying wife. Supposedly a disliked rival found it instead.

There isn't a comet discovery that fits in the time frame - but don't let that stand in the way of a story.

Well no, let's let that stand in the way. Apparently, Messier was quite devoted to Mme Messier. Their marriage scarcely lasted two years. She was pregnant and after the birth of their son became extremely ill - probably puerperal fever, though Messier's private life is scarcely documented at all. Both she and the infant were dead in less than two weeks.

Very sad.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Messier Marathon

Here is a plot showing the locations of Messier objects in the sky. Declination and right ascension are the celestial equivalent of latitude and longitude. This doesn't show the whole sky. Messier included only objects that were visible from Paris, his observing location, around 49 degrees N. But, of course, most are visible from a wide range of latitudes, including the southern hemisphere.

A Messier marathon involves trying to locate as many of the Messier objects as possible in one night. You can well imagine that this is a demanding test of sky knowledge and stamina. Such events are often organized by astronomy clubs.

Sounds pretty strenuous to me - is there such a word as mastrochist, I wonder.

Last edited by Mona - Astronomy; 08/26/16 02:34 AM.
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
On August 28, 1758, Charles Messier independently found the Crab Nebula when he was looking for Comet Halley on its first predicted return. He was unaware that the nebula had been previously discovered by John Bevis in 1731. Messier acknowledged the prior, original discovery by Bevis when he learned of it in a letter of June 10, 1771. Most importantly, it was the discovery of this object which caused Charles Messier to begin the compilation of his catalogue.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Messier 20 and Messier 21

The Trifid Nebula (Messier 20) is about 40 light years across and 5000 light years away. This colorful object is trisected by dust lanes that give it flowery look. In the top left of the image is the open star cluster Messier 21.

Image Credit & Copyright: Martin Pugh

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
The European Space Agency (ESA) reminds us that on August 28, 1758 Charles Messier independently found the Crab Nebula when he was looking for Comet Halley on its first predicted return. It was this object which prompted Messier to start his catalogue. The Crab Nebula was the first object and listed as M1. When he learned about the prior discovery a quarter of a century before, he gave due credit to John Bevis.

Here's the iconic Hubble Space Telescope image of the Crab Nebula.

Last edited by Mona - Astronomy; 08/30/17 12:25 PM.

Moderated by  Mona - Astronomy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.