Next Thread
Print Thread
#747147 02/19/12 05:53 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
It's been fascinating following the development of the "Iranian Ninja" story over the last few days. As someone who has trained in the art since 1985, and trained in Japan, the US, various parts of the UK, and at my home Shinobi Kai Dojo in Portsmouth UK I was expecting some over-reaction to the fact that a/ the people training in the art are Iranian, and b/ The mythos that surrounds Ninpo (AKA Ninjutsu). This is the orginal article I came across a few days ago , complete with the sound. No wonder the clip was short, no sound, and subtitled - the original just shows a slightly more acrobatic version of the usual training carried out worldwide by the Bujinkan and Gebukan.

Ninpo is a very deep, but very 'hippy' art. I've been trying to do an article on it for the Pagan page for a while, but it's such a multifaceted style that it is hard to pare it down enough to fit into even 3 or 4 articles. The attunement to nature, magickal techniques, and psychological techniques are much less well known than the combat side which is all most people think of thanks to the films and sensational articles in Martial Arts magazines. Hopefully the link will show that the media obviously had a slow news day, and decided to go for illusion over substance with a vague 'scare story'

Ian - Pagan Editor

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama
Sponsored Post Advertisement
C
Shark
Shark
C
Hi Ian,

Thanks for the additional link. I had put a post up as well on this. It seems media is in love with this story.
Is a National Martial Arts Program Feasible?

Both good and bad for as you point out they are all focusing on the physical aspects. I may be in the minority but I'm less "scared" by this story as I am hoping other countries consider such programs. Not for the national defense aspect but all the other benefits that comes with programs like this. If these women are truly studying ninjutsu, it will be more than just self-defense they learn.

Did you publish your articles on Ninjutsu yet? That's one style I haven't covered yet but would love to include what you have over in the styles listing.

Last edited by Caroline - Martial Arts; 02/20/12 11:53 AM.

- Sifu Caroline
Martial Arts
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Thanks Caroline

When I do any articles on Ninjutsu I'll link them to your site and let you know. I have already done two on other styles, Aikido and how I used it in self defence. Also one one on Wing Chung

On the idea of a National Martial Arts Program I do see a few problems, not least the gap between most people' perception of Martial Arts and the reality. Also that "Martial Culture is not Jock Culture" as this article - and the comments - bring into focus.

Ian - Pagan Editor

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama
C
Shark
Shark
C
Wow. Did anyone else catch all of the controversy relating to the Iranian women ninja's? Tehran Yanks Media Credential from Reuters Staff Over Video

I think it's good for them to stand up and make Reuters correct themselves. Ninjutsu is more than being an assassin.

Last edited by Caroline - Martial Arts; 03/31/12 01:52 PM.

- Sifu Caroline
Martial Arts
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Well spotted Caroline! smile

I missed this, but it shows how widespread knowledge of the real meanings of Ninjutsu is. It may be a 'secret' art but so many people practice it, or know someone who does, that when it is misrepresented the person who does so gets corrected very quickly. In this case I think the Hombu Dojo in Japan probably put pressure on them too wink

Ian - Pagan Editor

Dalai Lama
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OOh! It gets better!

Looks like Ninpo in Iran is going through the same thing as Paganism and Witchcraft did in the UK & USA in the '80s and '90s
Making a stand to be recognised for what it is rather than what people think it is.

Ian - Pagan Editor

Dalai Lama

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.