#502280 03/13/09 09:37 AM
L
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
L
Recently I was working on a multifaceted freelance project and while I kept careful track of 99% of everything, there was one aspect of the project that slipped through the cracks, in other words, I made a mistake.

When I first realized this I was devastated and I spent (wasted) quite a bit of time beating myself up, complaining and making excuses (to myself, not to any stakeholders). Finally all of my life coaching training kicked in and I realized that all of my internal drama was a distraction and very unproductive. The priority was to fix the mistake.

So I made a list of what I would do to handle this situation.

1)Take Responsibility within first then tell a stake holder.

2)Keep perspective. The mistake is not the totality of who I am. I am also my successes and accomplishments.

3)Plan how I'm going to take action to fix the problem.

4)Be prepared to handle any fall-out calmly and graciously. All humans make mistakes. It�s not only the mistake itself, but how you handle it.

5)Try to see the good in what seems like a negative situation. In my case, the pain I felt upon making the mistake made me realize just how much this particular project means to me. I have passion for what I do and that�s a good thing, a blessing in fact.

So how do you handle mistakes? Please stop in and share!

Last edited by leahmullen; 03/13/09 09:39 AM.

LEAH MULLEN
LIFE COACHING

Sponsored Post Advertisement
N
Shark
Shark
N
This is such a good topic I am surprized it has fallen by the wayside and got no replies. But, I do know what you mean about beating ourselves up if we mess up, no matter how minor, we do tend to magnify it, don't we. Dwelling on the negative! I hate it. I do it ALL the time. It doesn't matter how many other things I have done RIGHT and accomplished. It's always that one mistake that looms SO large. Maybe because no one likes to fail at anything. Who sets out to fail? I certainly don't. I think we all strive for perfection, I know I do BUT life isn't perfect nor fair. There seems to be always some invisible monkey out there ready to throw that wrench. I look at my mistakes as having some sort of "Lapse". Either in attention or time alloted to the task or I was trying to hurry or cut corners or I was tired. I know I will start to make mistakes if I am overtired. My work is somewhat physical and detailed. Very detailed actually sometimes and it requies intense attention and concentration. I LEARN from my mistakes and usually don't repeat them. Except of course with people. Too many variables in those situations and even with just one other person you only have on average lost 50% of your total control. Unless of course if it's a person of the opposite sex, then you may have a lot less or a lot more. So if you look at it that way, 3 or more people and you've lost control. Unless of course you are a tyrant or you are paying them. Hahahahahahaaaaa.

L
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
L
Greetings Navigaar:

Thank you so much for your post. You are correct it's best if we try to simply learn from our mistakes and try not to repeat them.

And with people and the potential for mistakes, I know what you mean about it being a rather gray area--unless you are tyrant or employer--LOL. What I try to do with people is to ask questions and make myself clear so we all know where we're coming from. That helps to minimize miscommmunications etc, But of course that stuff still happens smile

LEAH MULLEN
LIFE COACHING

L
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
L
You know what is funny. I read the original post I made in March and I'm trying to remember, which mistake was I referring to back then? I work on so many projects at once, I can't remember.

Let this be a lesson. No need to feel bad about mistakes that will be completely forgotten in just a few months!!!!

LEAH MULLEN
LIFE COACHING

N
Shark
Shark
N
[quote=leahmullen]Greetings Navigaar: Thank you so much for your post. You are correct it's best if we try to simply learn from our mistakes and try not to repeat them. And with people and the potential for mistakes, I know what you mean about it being a rather gray area--unless you are tyrant or employer--LOL. What I try to do with people is to ask questions and make myself clear so we all know where we're coming from. That helps to minimize miscommmunications etc, But of course that stuff still happens :) [/quote] AHHH, "Miscommunications". Even IF you think you are 100% thourough in getting your intent and wishes across there always seems to be someone who misinterprets what you just said. AND, here's the topper, when they explain WHY they misunderstood, IT MAKES PERFECT SENSE. Hahahahahahahahaaaa.

Last edited by Navigaar; 05/27/09 11:13 AM.

L
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
L
Originally Posted By: Navigaar
[quote=leahmullen]

AHHH, "Miscommunications". Even IF you think you are 100% thourough in getting your intent and wishes across there always seems to be someone who misinterprets what you just said. AND, here's the topper, when they explain WHY they misunderstood, IT MAKES PERFECT SENSE. Hahahahahahahahaaaa.

Okay, that is too too funny. lololololol...After awhile it's like ahhh...let's just forget it. lololol...

LEAH MULLEN
LIFE COACHING

Resilience. You have to bounce back and move forward.

L
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
L
Hi Markie_G

Great advice! Any tips on how to remain resilient despite life's reversals?

Last edited by leahmullen; 07/03/09 11:18 PM.

LEAH MULLEN
LIFE COACHING

K
K
Hello,

There is a famous saying "there`s never a wrong time to do the right thing" just try to follow it things will be fine.

Regards,
kimroddy

Management Leadership

R
R
What if you make a mistake that results in somebody being hurt or killed? How do you resile to that?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  leahmullen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.