Next Thread
Print Thread
#602305 05/27/10 09:57 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Many people don't realize that self-esteem is something that can and should be worked on. If you would like information on building your self-esteem, check out my latest article Building Self-Esteem.

If you would like to discuss this topic, post to this threat or start your own. I can't wait to discuss college-related topics with all of you.

SUSAN D. BATES
COLLEGES

Connect with Colleges on Facebook at Colleges at BellaOnline.com

Follow Colleges on Twitter at colleges_info

Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Without a healthy level of self-esteem, it is difficult to succeed in life. I know because even though I earned my bachelor's and master's and had several successful careers, I abruptly left them because I struggled with my self-worth. Somehow, I did not believe that I deserved the good fruits of my labor.

My daughter suffered from low self-esteem until a counselor explained that I never gave her a chance to succeed or fail. At any hint of a stumble, I would rush in to rescue her, giving her the impression that she was not capable of solving her own problems or earning achievements. We work on that and thankfully, she is a stronger person today.

As for other college-related topics, I'd like your thoughts about the importance of a college degree and the benefits that go beyond career advantages. I'm tired of hearing some people tell me that I "wasted" my education by leaving good careers to care for my family. What was I to do? Two of my children have/had a terminal illness, for heaven's sake.

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
You are absolutely right that it is difficult to succeed in life without a strong sense of self-worth. It is really interesting that you discovered that your daughter's struggle with her self-esteem had to do with not being allowed to fail, and thus not showing herself that she can overcome those failures and succeed. This is a story we can all lean from. I want to thank you for sharing it.

Part of having a strong self-worth is listening to yourself (as opposed to others) when you know you are right. It sounds like you made a decision that was right for you and your family, which others may not have understood. It is easy to let what other people say bother us. To combat that, we have to keep telling ourselves we know what we did was right and why.

You are also correct when you say that a college education has benefits outside of helping someone get a job. That idea may make for an interesting future article. I do have a few thoughts on it, which I will be happy to share. However, I would like to get your thoughts and the thoughts of other readers first. I am going to start a new thread asking for people's thoughts on this. Great idea. Thank you.

I also want to say that I am very sorry to hear about your children. I can't even begin to imagine how difficult that was for you. It sounds like you've over come a lot. I wish you all the best.

SUSAN D. BATES
COLLEGES

Connect with Colleges on Facebook at Colleges at BellaOnline.com

Follow Colleges on Twitter at colleges_info

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.