Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#723708 11/05/11 05:48 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Until now I've always had a folder in my desk for car stuff. I toss everything in there. Each year those receipts and such go upstairs with my other tax records.

However, this means I don't have any coherent "life of the car" record that I can easily access about when oil changes were done, when spark plugs were changed, and so on. I take my car maintenance very seriously because I need it to work. It's important to me not to be stranded.

Bob is bringing me home a binder today and I'm finally going to get my car's life all organized. I'll put in pages for the oil changes, the spark plug changes, and everything else. For example it's winter now and I have NO idea when the tires were last changed on this car!! That's critical to know with the snow we get.

So that'll be a project for today.

How do you guys organize your car records?

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I love the binderization of things. Making the binders is so fun. My favorite ones are the ones with sleeves on the outside that I can slip artwork or referrence papers into.

I have a composition book i use for my RV records that I staple and tape things into. I need one for my car too. I was afraid to start one for it, since I have been through four cars this year. smile

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
OK I even went into the attic and pulled down my auto folders for past years. I got this car in 2006 so that was three years up there plus 2010 down here and the current records. I use plastic slip-in thingies to put the receipts and such into.

So now everything from 2006 through today is in one spot! Hurrah! Now I know that 2 of my tires were replace in 2007 and 2 in 2009. The ones in 2007 were 50,000 mile tires and my mileage was 68,000 miles. I know I hit 110,000 miles back in May 2010 so I'm definitely overdue.

The ones in 2009 were 70,000 mile tires, at 93,000 miles, so those should still be good.

Feeling better. Getting a handle on things.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Dear Jilly -

Take that first step! Who knows, it could just be practice, which is fine smile

I'm a firm believer in caring for cars!

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I do think this car is a keeper. I spent enough on it (for me at least).

At least when i sell my RV the buyer will get several full composition books of notes to show my love, care and attention.

BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
I keep my auto maintenance records in the car. Whenever I have something done I put the receipt in a folder in the glove box. This works best for me because I can do it immediately. I don't have to worry about schlepping the paperwork into the house and getting it into the right file. Plus I am most likely going to want to reference those records when I am at the auto shop. It's great to be able to immediately check the historical data.

The best advice is do whatever works for you. There is no one size fits all solution when it comes to organizing. Consistency is the most important thing.

Jilly, the future buyer of your RV will owe you a big debt of gratitude for keeping such detailed notes. I am impressed!

Kelly Jayne McCann
Organization Editor

Don't forget to sign up for the How To Organize Newsletter. It's filled with practical tips and links to great resources!

Learn about me - I teach people how to organize, clear clutter, set goals & get things done!
My mantra: Clear your clutter - Find your happy!
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Thanks KellyJayne! I wanted to be the kind of owner that I would want to buy from. I did not take as good a care of the rv as I would have liked, but it's not in worse shapef from having been lived in, and that's something. smile

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
My tires are done! And Bob even got me a green binder to use instead of the white one, so it is color coded and I can spot it and grab it quickly when I need to.

Progress! I love progress!

The next thing on that list is to look at the "should have been done by 120k miles" items like fuel filters and serpentine belts, so we'll talk to our mechanic next about a check-up.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
I am convinced if people took an organized approach to car maintenance cars could be driven for many more miles. I am glad to hear you got your binder set up Lisa. I second the love for progress!

Kelly Jayne McCann
Organization Editor

Don't forget to sign up for the How To Organize Newsletter. It's filled with practical tips and links to great resources!

Learn about me - I teach people how to organize, clear clutter, set goals & get things done!
My mantra: Clear your clutter - Find your happy!
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
On the down side, I keep asking Bob to call in about the "should have done" list and he keeps not doing it. He thinks I'm being overzealous, that if they haven't been done that they don't need to be done (like the serpentine belt). Tomorrow I will just call in myself since clearly it's been quite a while that he's been putting me off smile

Low Carb Forum
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KellyJayne - Organization 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.