logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Zebra
OP Offline
Zebra
Here's my take on Why Advertisers Bailed on the Don Imus show.

Let me know your thoughts. How do you choose your advertisers or who you advertise with? Would you have pulled your ads from Imus if you'd been there?

If you are employed, do you know who your company supports with its ads?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
N
Gecko
Gecko
N
The Imus issue seems to be based on the technicality of whether the comments were said on public airwaves. While I think his comments were idiotic and inappropriate, plenty of rappers say much worse about black women, and I don't see Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton lining up in front of the recording lable offices demanding they be fired.

I think Imus' comments were moronic, but as someone who is against censorship I wouldn't demand he be fired, I just wouldn't listen to his show.

Ever heard of Don Rickles or Lenny Bruce? Not for everyone but should we ban free speech? I don't think so.

When I shop or donate money I'm very careful to only buy free range/cruelty free/fair trade/organic products when possible. I think it makes a difference.

Zebra
OP Offline
Zebra
Thanks for your comments, nosy. You're right, it does make a difference where you spend or donate money. And, that's my point, we can do so much more through our dollars that we can't do by talking.

But, this isn't the first time Imus has used racist language. According to this week's Time Magazine, he referred NY Times White House correspondent Gwen Ifill (an African-American) as "the cleaning lady," and he has use the terms "Jewboy" and "towelhead".

As to censorship, I do agree he has the right to say whatever he wants to say in this country. But, it appears that he doesn't also have the right to get paid for it when employed by someone else. I think that's the difference between Imus and Rickles or Bruce, or even Mel Gibson.

N
Gecko
Gecko
N
Good point about the matter of employment. I certainly don't defend his comments, just his right to say them. If his conduct is not acceptable to his employers I guess they have the right to fire him, although I'd be curious to know if he ever got warnings from his employer for his previous racist comments. Did they allow it for years and then one day decide it's unacceptable? I'm sure it's all about the bottom line.

N
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
N
What he said in that case was not racist just like the examples given below are not racist.

Words like racist are now useless thanks to so many people screaming it when it is not what happened.

Moderated by  Angel - Business Coach 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.