logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
What are some of the things we can do to make the playing field even?

Dr. Letitia S. Wright,D.C.
Prime Time TV Editor/Host
www.bellaonline.com/site/primetimetv
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Amoeba
Amoeba
Know what you are worth and negotiate accordingly. Do not accept less than what your demands are unless it is worth it to you.
Be a good example when you receive opportunities that are alternative to the norm.
For instance, I left a job when I gave birth because they refused to offer me part-time.
Guess what? Within 7 months I was back working as the first part timer in my office. It was difficult to leave for financial reasons but in the end I got what I wanted.
I try to take my responsibilities seriously so that I leave a good impression and another woman will be given the same chance.

Tiger
Tiger
Not backstab one another.
Be more supportive.
Work together instead of against each other.
Ask for a raise. It's amazing how many women goes years without asking for a raise.
Be willing to walk if you don't get what you want.
Know your job inside and out.
Have a punching bag at home to take out your frustrations on.
Know you are worthy of more and if you don't believe it, fake it. Eventually you'll believe.

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Where did you get the idea that women make substantially less than men do for the same job when both the man and woman have the same education and same experience? In some fields, women's salaries actually surpass men's.

Koala
Koala
Because, for the most part, studies STILL show that women make--on average--only about 75 percent of what men do at the same age, in the same jobs, with the same qualifications.

Check out the current GAO Study.

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Quote:
Because, for the most part, studies STILL show that women make--on average--only about 75 percent of what men do at the same age, in the same jobs, with the same qualifications.

Oh, I don't think so! The women who work part-time, even a couple of hours a week have their "earnings" included in these studies. So, many women making a tiny bit of money on the side are compared with the entire group of men, most of whom are working full-time. Unfortunately, the hateful feminists have skewed the statistics to make women weak and appear like they aren't making as much as men (vital point, when education, experience, and other factors are nearly identical) when the opposite is true. Unfortunately, no one really bothers to look further into the situation.

http://archives.cnn.com/2000/CAREER/trends/12/12/womenpay/

http://www.ncpa.org/pub/ba/ba392/

Koala
Koala
Both the BLS and GAO studies (which are both broader and more recent than the NCPA study you've cited here), as well as many others are adjusted so that earnings are calculated at full-time equivalents. Earnings of women working full-time and men working full-time are compared on an equitable level. The gap widens even further for women in certain ethnic groups.

You can find numerous (current) studies at http://www.pay-equity.org/info.html. The AAUW study is one that especially shows the differential in wages of men vs. women with college degrees. If you don't like those, try http://www.bpwusa.org/files/public/101FactsonWorkingwomen2005.pdf.pdf.

When wages of working women with children (full time working women) and working men with children (full time working men) are compared, disparities are even greater.

When education, experience and other factors are nearly identical, women still earn less than men for the same job.

The inequity in pay has nothing to do with "hateful feminists" or women appearing weaker. It has everything to do with an employment market that, for the most part, gives preference to men over women (as employers continue to operate under the false assumption that a woman will be less productive because she may potentially marry and bear children).

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
I just wrote a huge reply to you, and I must have taken too much time because the forum "ate" my response! Aargggh.

AAUW has been completely discredited. Their research has been exposed for what it is: nearly non-existent and highly biased for the outcome to be what they wanted it to be.

The other link you gave does not work for me.

I don't have time to re-write my post, but a couple of things to consider: what is "similar" is not at all what is "equal" when comparing men's to women's wages.

Meanwhile, here is an article that explains why some of the statistics are very misleading:

http://www.ciaonet.org/pbei/aei/oti/fud01/

Also, the book "Who Stole Feminism" by Christina Hoff Sommers is excellent and highly recommended. She used to buy into a lot of things that she later learned were completely fraudulent.

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Hi Lynn,

Okay, I was thinking about this last night some more. Btw, unfortunately, all of the links you gave will not open for me.

You said that the earnings are adjusted so that calculations are for full-time equivalents. One problem with that. A full-time employee, in many cases, will have benefits such as health insurance and other perks that part-time employees will not have. Thus, the salaries are not equivalent. And more women work part-time (generally because of children) than men.

Let's compare apples and orange. Both are fruit. Both are lowfat. Both are high in fiber. Both can be naturally very sweet or rather sour, depending on variety. Apples and oranges are very similar! But, you're still comparing apples to oranges, not apples to apples and oranges to oranges.

Second, if women in the SAME job, with the SAME experience, working the SAME amount of hours, with the SAME outcome as men are earning less, where are the stories? If it happened to me, I'd be the first one to sue for discrimination! Men can nearly have their careers ruined just by women claiming sexual harassment at hearing an X-rated joke. If women are so much more underpaid than men for not similar, but the SAME circumstances, where are the millions of lawsuits that these women should be filing?

Is geographical location included in these statistics? If NYC lawyers comprise 65% men (I'm just making this figure up for the sake of argument) and only 39% in the Midwest, the statistics are still not going to be equal because salaries vary greatly depending on where one lives. My husband and I make good salaries for where we live. In NYC, we'd starve.

So many of the statistics gloss over these seemingly minute, but paramount differences. They tout the huge wage gap but never bother to explain exactly what it is.

Apples to oranges.

Koala
Koala
Ally: The citation you give is to a 2000 document. Again, multiple current studies continue to demonstrate that the gap exists. The data is analyzed in such a manner so that the researchers are comparing apples to apples; and researchers have indeed examined differentials based on place (differentials in pay by gender are greater in the Southern states, for instance).

Lawsuit after lawsuit exists related to this--most are primarily large, class-action suits which involve hundreds of women (for instance, the suit against Wal-Mart which is still settling out).

The issue has hit such a point that almost half of the states in the U.S. now have laws on the books regarding pay equity for both public and non-public employees.

Even a differential in pay by gender of 10 percent should be cause for concern.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Barbara - Women's Issues 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.