Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#407368 04/15/08 07:30 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
My boyfriend and I began eating low carb several years ago. Before that, my boyfriend's aunt worked for Atkins and I *vehemently* fought against her suggestions that we try low carb. My boyfriend was about 300 pounds, at 5'10" and he was definitely overweight. But I was convinced that low carb was about eating fatty steaks and tons of eggs and that it would kill my boyfriend. I was almost hostile in my responses to her, that she would suggest such a "radical diet".

Of course, eventually I began looking into it and realized it was NOT about eating tons of steak and fat smile It is about eating lots of fresh vegetables, high fiber foods, and cutting out sugar. At the time we weren't eating "junk food" - but he was drinking a lot of sugary soda. We would eat pizza, macaroni and cheese, french fries with our burgers. If we ate veggies it would be corn (super sweet) or peas (super sweet). We rarely ate salads.

So when we DID cut over to low carb, we instantly changed all his sodas to diet sodas. We did a sweep and gave away all our pasta and bread. We stopped buying ice cream. In maybe 4 months my boyfriend went from 300 down to 220 - and he felt SO much better. Imagine carrying 80 pounds around with you every day!! He could play baseball, basketball, all the things he loved. We could go out for the evening, he fit in chairs, the list goes on.

On to part two ...

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
OK now we're in current times. We still have only diet soda in the house. We don't have french fries or mac-and-cheese around. We don't eat corn or peas regularly - instead we have lots of broccoli and cauliflower and such. We regularly have a salad mix in the fridge, ready to go. We don't stock cookies.

But my boyfriend is back up at 280. What happened?

This is something they talk about a lot on the Biggest Loser. People usually get heavy because they use food as a comfort. Something is bugging them, they eat comfort food, they feel better. But if they never fix the underlying problem, them the "need for comfort" is still there the next day, and they soothe it with food the next day too. And it creeps up.

We don't have "bad food" in the house - but if he's out and about, he'll stop at McDonalds and get something with large fries. He'll stop at the pizza place and get a small pizza and eat the whole thing on the way home. Now the pizza place has a FULL set of subs and sandwiches and salads right there on the menu. He chooses not to order them. McDonalds has salads and snack wraps and such which I order regularly. Again, he chooses not to order them.

It is pretty amazing (and indicative) that he was 220 only a short while ago and is now 280. How quickly can a person gain 60 pounds? How long would it take to take it off again?

He's not "inactive". I know people here have talked about "well I'm active - I go for walks". That isn't enough to offset a typical diet. He plays in a band, he plays darts, we go for walks. That is just not enough activity to offset even a reasonably healthy diet. He's not eating pizza every night. He's drinking only diet drinks. But he needs to eat healthy ALL the time - or exercise more - to even maintain an even weight.

He loves baseball - but this year he couldn't rejoin the team because he had gained too much weight. He couldn't run the bases any more. So this is having a real impact on his daily desires.

So in one sense he's still "mostly low carb". So many bad habits from before are now gone. But on the other hand, he's back up to 280. So there are enough bad habits left that it's causing problems. We simply shouldn't eat french fries. Pizza should be a once a month treat - with a FEW slices - not a weekly treat of an entire pizza.

And probably more importantly, I imagine if he found a job he liked, and we got out biking again, he wouldn't have these cravings for french fries and pizza and such, which is the core issue.

Low Carb Forum
Parakeet
Parakeet
Emotions have so much to do with what we eat. I know that when I am stressed I immediately want something to help offset the feeling. Unfortunately my food od choice is anything that is heavily salted and I can't keep chips or things like that in the house.

I agree about the pizza. Treating yourself has to be a part of every diet plan.

You're right about doing something you like for a living. Right there tension is eliminated.

"Allow your dreams to become your plans."

Kristen

Kristen Houghton
Author and Relationship Writer
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
B
Koala
Koala
B
Can he do without the diet soda? I used to love Pepsi and drank several cans a day then I moved over to Sprite and then it was Diet Sprite and for about five years no soda whatsoever.

Well the few times I go out and if I want something tasty to drink I will get rootbeer, sprite or a pepsi.

Two years ago I went to sizzler for lunch after shopping across the street at Toys R Us alone and had a nice steak lunch with pepsi and a refill.

Then last September I took my son to Shakeys and had a sprite and last month we went back and I had a rootbeer and a refill.

I have read many things about diet soda and that is does contain asperatame. I forget how to spell it since no foods I consume have it.

Has he tried any appetite suppressants? I highly recommend Hydroxycut. They sell it at walgreens for $31.99 but it does go on sale for 19.99 and I stock up then.

I kept a food log when I started and then went on prednisone and the pharmacist said not to take both so I stopped and my food log showed the increase in appetite and the gain in weight.

I was not hungry at all and would not eat my kids fries if we did the drive thru from BK. I did not snack at night watching tv, no more pretzels or popcorn. I did buy the 100 calorie popcorn for when I was off the hydroxycut.

You start the first three days taking one pill 1/2 hour before meals and the then move on to two pills 3 times a day and not to take the last one within five hours of bedtime.

Bonnie Sayers - Autism Editor

AUTISM site
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Kristen - right exactly. Pizza once a month is a fine treat. But as a entire pizza as a regular "soother" it gets to be a regular habit which is then hard to break. He feels down and thinks "I want a whole pizza" - so when he goes into the pizza shop he doesn't even look at the other healthy choices. They're right there - but he goes right for the pizza.

So it's the underlying emotional thing that is the cause ...

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Bonnie - that is a very good point. The first phase was going from sugary soda to diet soda. That was a huge change. Now we are in fact going on a change from diet soda to no soda. I actively have gotten into teas - and as I drink more tea, he does too. So he is drinking way more tea as a result. I encourage that by trying new teas and talking about the tea forum posts, which then encourages him to drink teas too.

We have never taken any appetite suppressants. If you're eating low sugar, then you don't tend to get hungry - because a lot of hunger has to do with blood sugar levels spiking and dropping. It's really amazing - if I eat something with sugar in it then I get hungry again soon. If I eat low sugar, high fiber, then I stay full for a long while and don't get hungry again. So that really makes a big difference. Also drinking ample water keeps you feeling full.

So I really don't think that he's "starving". We speak up when we start to get hungry, to stay aware of it, and that's not usually it. It's really eating because the food "feels yummy" - i.e. an emotional / comfort thing.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
I agree with the emotional eating being the biggest problem against low carb. Because when you look at the list of "comfort foods" - they are all carbs:
mac and cheese
ice cream
potato chips
cookies
donuts
etc, etc

I am a big emotional eater, and even knowing this it is hard to fight against. Eating a cheese stick or pack of peanuts just doesn't have the same soothing effect. So I really have to be aware and fight that urge.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Michelle - you are SO right. We don't even keep mac & cheese or potato chips or cookies in the house any more, because when we bring them in to the house they get eaten IMMEDIATELY (by both of us). It is really hard to resist them. It's best to just not keep them in the house.

The trick is when he's out of the house without me. If I'm with him he'll be more aware (or maybe feel more guilty) about eating an entire pizza. If I'm not there, anything goes.

So really the key is to not have the urge for comfort food. If you're feeling content and energetic and happy, you don't go for comfort food. So it's one of those "go for the root of the problem" things.

Of course, I can't get him a new job smile So I didn't say it was easy. However, I have managed to get us both brand new road bikes, and am actively preparing us to go biking regularly!

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Right, I can't have raw cookie dough in the house. Not at all. I WILL eat it.

I should look up a way to make a healthy, high fiber cookie dough. hmmm.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Oh Jill! Wait let me find it for you smile

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Low Carb Forum
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Lisa LowCarb 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.