logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
becki Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hi everyone, I am new to the low carb forum and I just want to get your views. I followed the "curves" low carb diet a number of years ago and it was very successful but there was a lot of negative media coverage about low carb diets and I gave it up. I have read that low carb diets can be bad for your kidneys and digestive system in particular the intestines because of the slow transit time if you are not eating enough wholegrain fibre as you would not be on a low carb diet and I need some reassurance in that regard because I am thinking abount going back on that way of eating becasue I find it great for control. I suppose my question is is it healthy to just eat tonnes of vegetables and lower sugar fruit?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Actually that's a mistaken view. You should be eating MORE fiber on a low carb diet than most people eat. The point of low carb is to avoid sugar - not fiber smile

It's never healthy to just eat vegetables smile You have to eat a balanced meal, which includes things other than veggies smile

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
J
Koala
Koala
J
I agree Lisa! Try following a Low Glycemic Diet , which is better for your blood sugar, your metabolism and your overall health.

The Glycemic Index basically weeds out "bad" carbs, or those high on the glycemic index, from "good" carbs, or those low on the index -which contain less sugar.

B
becki Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I hope that I did not come across as critical of low carb diets/lifestyle. I was just posing the question that if one cuts back on carbs can it have a bad effect on one's health.
Also, I did not mean that I would survive on vegetables - what I used to do when I was following a low carb eating plan was have low sugar fruit like berries or melon with natural youghurt for breakfast and salads and / or vegetables with fish or chicken for lunch and dinner.

In my experience, extremes of anything tend to be unhealthy. Keep that fiber coming. A vegetable/fruit dominant diet is good as long as it's not EXCLUSIVE to those things.

Last edited by mapsokardu; 02/07/08 11:57 AM.

http://www.classicwines.com Classic Wines - Your online guide to wine ratings, wine prices, and wine reviews
I'm getting so confused, with the should I or shouldn't I. Whats good whats bad ;o(

Rosie L
J
Koala
Koala
J
You're right it can be bad for your health if you cut good carbs from your diet. However, you can't go wrong cutting things like sugar, white flour and processed foods.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Becki - I'm still trying to figure out why you would feel that not eating sugar and starch is bad for your health. It's not like any human ever gets a "zero sugar" diet - there are natural sugars even in vegetables. You always get more than enough to maintain your body's normal healthy processes.

What do you feel would be unhealthy about not eating a ton of sugar?

Joanj - is right - you are still eating GOOD carbs. Low carb is NOT zero carb. It is about eating healthy carbs - broccoli, zucchini, etc. It is about avoiding chocolate chip cookies smile

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum

Moderated by  Lisa LowCarb 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.