Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
I understand this is belated.

Sincerely, had I known, it would have come around much sooner. Thank you too all of the friends and families who have gone without in order to protect...let me just say that again PROTECT our freedom.

Without your sacrifices. I know, understand and acknowledge I would not personally be where I am today.

Thank you!

Last edited by Elleise - Clairvoyance; 05/22/11 01:30 AM.

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Lovely message, Elleise.

I join Elleise in giving my thanks and gratitude to all who gave and are giving so much to protect our country and us.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
It's nice to have Memorial Day right around the corner too. It just doesn't seem one day a year is nearly enough, you know?

I put this story in the our newsletter, but then I thought why not put it here as well for the holiday. It's light-hearted and kind of cute.

First Memorial Day

I remember a year I introduced my daughter to what Memorial Day was all about. We went for a drive to the florist and picked out 30 or so red, white and blue carnations, bundled them up and prepared them back home. As she was helping me to trim the leaves I explained that we were going to make a gesture by taking the flowers to the cemetery. That there are men and women who we've never met personally, helping to keep us safe and no matter what, they stand for us, by our sides, making sure that the bad guys, "play in their own back yard."

I asked her to put some warm clothes on, because it would be cooler later in the evening. I loaded up the car and packed a couple of sandwiches, so we could take our time. I called for her that it was time to go and she shouted, "I'll be right there."

As she was coming out the front door, she seemed to be struggling a bit with her bag. I went to help her and she said, "I'll get it!" and with all of her might she was dragging what seemed to be a good size type Santa bag walking backward looking over her shoulder as a guide....THUMP...it went into the back seat and she just stared forward, as if she was ready for a mission.

We left for the country cemetery and as we pulled in, she said she didn't want any help with her bag. I divided the flowers, giving her half and told her we were putting them on the grave sites of the soldiers that were no longer with us in body, but in spirit. Periodically I would check to make sure I could see her but at one point I no longer did. I called and called panic stricken even though we were the only 2 people out there.

I walked up and down and around every single pillar, angel, tree and bush until I was stopped in my tracks. There she was on her hands and knees, dragging that bag of hers, with rows of grave markers adorning, apples, bananas, Chips Ahoy cookies, pop tarts, tiny stuffed animals and a bottle of mustard. For each one, she said thank you, patting the markers like you would the shoulder of a good friend.

The greatest thing about it was she wasn't trying to impress anyone or get attention. She didn't even know she was being watched. Many times she didn't. I was mostly quietly in the background as she grew up letting her spread her wings. If ever she were to look or need me, though, she would never have to look very far.

Last edited by Elleise - Clairvoyance; 05/29/11 09:31 PM.

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site

Moderated by  Elleise - Clairvoyance 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.