Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Dear Deb Duxbury,

Welcome to BellaOnline!

I just read your illuminating article, "Japan Tsunami Animals Survive", comparing Japanese and American Emergency Services for animals. I am glad to see a better example portrayed by Japan, and relieved that efforts are being made to improve on the US systems.

I also like your suggestions for an animal emergency evacuation kit. I am curious - I use food grade diatomaceous earth for parasitic worm prevention and as an ant deterrent for my cats and dog (and I use duct tape for a multitude of purposes). But what do you suggest using food grade diatomaceous earth, duct tape, and twine for in an emergency evacuation?

Thank you for your helpful, informative article!

Cheers!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Hi Sabira,

Thank you for your warm welcome. It is truly a pleasure for me to be a part of the outstanding team and community here at BellaOnline. I look forward to getting to know the editors and members and exploring the various perspectives regarding the animal kingdom.

In my many years working with animals, you are only the second person I've encountered who knows about diatomaceous earth. I could spend years explaining the endless benefits of this natural wonder! However, I will be succinct for purposes of clarity. Here is why you want to add diatomaceous earth, duct tape, and twine to an emergency evacuation kit.

Some uses for Duct Tape: Repair broken/torn portable carrier/kennel, emergency tourniquet, remove thorn-like objects, and collar repair

Twine is handy: Extend leash area for animal, secure any additional lost animals found, repair kennels, emergency tourniquet, create additional collars

Food grade diatomaceous earth (NOT pool grade!): This helps absorb moisture. Added to food it kills any parasites they might have picked up. It kills anything with an exoskeleton, such as, fleas, ticks, ants, lice, and larvae. In the simplest terms, what DE does is hyper-dehydrates pests and bugs, quickly and efficiently.

In an emergency, oftentimes people find themselves in a stagnant water soaked environment. Sometimes, for prolonged periods of time. DE is one of the simplest things to use to ensure your animal stays healthy during such a crisis. It is effective on wet or dry fur, is cost effective, can be purchased in bulk from a local feed store, and has no expiration date so it always remains effective.

I hope this has provided you with additional clarity. If you have any further questions be sure to let me know.

Thank you for reading my article and for the feedback. Have a wonderful week.

I look forward to reading your comments.

The evolution of humankind can be measured by how its animals are treated.

Deb Duxbury
Animal Life Editor

Animal Life Forum
Facebook Page
Twitter
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Originally Posted By: Deb - Animal Life
...Food grade diatomaceous earth (NOT pool grade!): This helps absorb moisture. Added to food it kills any parasites they might have picked up. It kills anything with an exoskeleton, such as, fleas, ticks, ants, lice, and larvae. In the simplest terms, what DE does is hyper-dehydrates pests and bugs, quickly and efficiently.

In an emergency, oftentimes people find themselves in a stagnant water soaked environment. Sometimes, for prolonged periods of time. DE is one of the simplest things to use to ensure your animal stays healthy during such a crisis. It is effective on wet or dry fur, is cost effective, can be purchased in bulk from a local feed store, and has no expiration date so it always remains effective....

Thank you Deb,

I think food grade diatomaceous earth (DE) is great for animals and humans. I have been giving it to my cats and dog daily for years to prevent parasitic worms. It works, and is nontoxic and provides beneficial nutrients.

Ingesting too much DE can cause animals to become constipated, so I am careful to only give cats 1/2 teaspoon a day, and my 20 lb. dog gets 1 teaspoon a day in their wet food. I make sure they have plenty of fresh water to drink on hand, as it absorbs water in their systems. It should not be added to dry food, because they can inhale the dry powder while eating, which is not good for lungs.

As Deb said, NEVER use pool grade DE for your pets. It is processed differently and can have harmful impurities.

Cheers!

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Thanks for the comment Sabira!

Since you know about DE I wanted to pass along another tip for you. DE can be used in dry food in two ways - it's a little trick I learned from farmers.

Take your reserve food, place it in storage container, add DE to it, shake, and allow to sit. For food you are serving immediately, that has not already exposed to DE in a storage bin, moisten, add small amount of DE and mix.

Like you said - a little goes a long way! Not only does this assist with natural parasitic control for your animal, it keeps bugs out of your animal's dry food supply and prevents them from inhaling it.

It is also helpful to wet down their food placement mat area and rub DE into it to further avoid any bug invasion on their food while ridding your dwelling of unwanted insects.

I hope these additional tips prove useful for you!

For any readers just learning about the endless uses of DE for pets and humans - please remember to only use FOOD grade - NEVER pool grade!

I look forward to reading your comments.

The evolution of humankind can be measured by how its animals are treated.

Deb Duxbury
Animal Life Editor

Animal Life Forum
Facebook Page
Twitter

Moderated by  Deb - Animal Life 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.