#781647 09/07/12 11:01 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
When someone asks you,

What do you do?

Are you joyful and proud with the response you give? Or do you hedge, or feel uncomfortable with your response?

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I am quite fortunate; I feel quite joyful when I talk with people about what I do. I love BellaOnline and what we achieve here, that we help people learn about writing and thriving on the web and we help charity at the same time. It makes me quite happy, and I'm proud to share the news of it with people I meet.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I pondered it some more and I suppose the question I *used* to feel uncomfortable with was what my degree was in. I always felt great shame when someone asked me that, as I dropped out of Worcester Polytech Institute after only a year. And I also felt upset that I had been accepted by MIT but my parents wouldn't send me. My father felt it was a waste of money and wanted me to go to UCONN instead. So that question used to stir up a wealth of unhappy feelings in me.

So finally I buckled down and restarted my degree at Northeastern, and I only have 11 classes more to go. I am taking four starting right now in the fall semester. So I graduate in the spring. That makes me very proud because it has been quite challenging to handle the full course load and everything else I'm doing. My finances have gotten extremely tight and I've had to think about stopping the classes a few times. But I have persevered, and I feel quite proud that I'm nearly there.

So that is a good thing too, that my response to the question used to be a quite sad one, and now it's a quite happy one smile.

Low Carb Forum
C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
I feel proud that I teach children who have had an extremely difficult time in school. I help them discover their inner learner (at least on good days) and I persist, even when things get incredibly tough. I'm good at my job, and I love the kids, but sometimes I just get weary.

BellaOnline is my joy. Some people go to gamble, others go to movies, and I write. My goal is to transition from teaching to full-time writing over the next 5 years. It is still a thrill when a site like India Times or Forbes picks up one of my articles.

Recently, I bought a domain name. It is Live Well with ADD. I am thinking about what I want the site to look like and what content that I want to feature. This summer I will find a host company and start building the website.

Last edited by Connie - ADD/Sandwiches; 09/07/12 11:24 PM.

Connie Mistler Davidson-Editor-ADD/Sandwiches/Reading
Attention Deficit Disorder
Sandwiches
Reading
Avatar: Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

My EBook link.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

C
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
C
I feel proud that I gave up my former "title" to pursue my own dream. I am happy to say I am a "Freelance Creative" or "Freelance Writer" .. "Freelance creative" kind of embodies everything because I do web design, I write, make soaps, restore old photos, and do graphic arts smile. Writing is my major love though.

Christin Sander - Tarot Editor
http://tarot.bellaonline.com
Follow me on Twitter @Christin_writes

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Connie - that is fantastic, that you are living your dream and making progress to have it be even better. Congratulations!

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Christin - I love the idea of Freelance Creative. You are indeed multi-talented and it shows!

Low Carb Forum
I love this thread! In fact, recently I was at a gathering and someone actually asked me that exact question. I was shocked and I literally stuttered the "I used to ...., but now I JUST..." answer. I was disappointed in myself for not being more openly proud of what I do. I am a fine arts photographer (and just finished hanging three local shows,) I am working on an advanced degree, and I am a full-time parent to boot. I grow food, trim horses feet, run a household, and teach rock climbing. I still don't know why I didn't speak more proudly of my life. I am fulfilled and happy and I AM proud of my life. I was just feeling how unconventional it was in a room full of conventional humans.

p.s. I just ordered the Fire Starter Sessions smile

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Kerry - it is so true that we can sometimes be caught in feeling we are "not taking the socially accepted path" in life. Kudos to you for seeing that you *are* doing amazing things with your talents. Congratulations on the shows!

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
I recently went to a barbecue with my husband's work colleagues and before we went I gave a lot of thought to what I would answer when asked "What do you do?"

I usually say, "I'm an Internet Marketer, I make money on the Internet." Because that provokes more discussion, but I was wondering if saying "I'm an author" would be an interesting answer. I'm slowly moving toward being a professional organizer and people always want tips with their own clutter problems.

But alas, no one asked me. I find as soon as they find out I have 4 children, no one even asks what else I do. To myself I am more than a mom, but others see me as "just a mom" and I find that quite sad.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  JOY (Self Development) 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.