Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#364606 01/08/08 01:14 PM
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Yesterday, Dr. Phil was about not being THAT girl... meaning a single girl who fell into several different undesirable categories.

One of those categories was 'agenda girl,' the one who wants to be married and have kids by a certain age, and is looking to check off the list more than she's looking to find a good mate.

Well, that started me thinking. I've heard that a woman should really have a child by the age of 35. Yes, a child is possible after this age, but it can be difficult and dangerous (and expensive).

So, in order for a woman to have children the right way, that is, to be in a loving relationship with a consenting husband, she should probably be married by 30. That would give her 5 years to have children.

How often do you think this situation actually pans out the way it should? How often does a woman marry someone that she really cares about, and then after careful thought and consideration, with the full support and consent of a husband who really WANTS kids, has a few children before turning 35?

I think if this actually happened correctly then about 12 people would have had kids last year.

...the cake is a lie...the cake is a lie...the cake is a lie...
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Ha ha. I've seen so many women marry men that just make me scratch my head. I don't know if it's marriage, babies or both that motivates them. I think some women are afraid they might not meet someone else to marry, so when someone comes along and wants to marry them, they are all over it.

It's sad, but I think some women know they have a better chance of meeting someone better, and they don't settle. But other women seem to settle for just any man. I've seen some really desperate behavior from the single moms out there. They know that a lot of guys aren't interested in them b/c they have kids, and they really kind of demean themselves. Not all single moms, I'm talking about a lot of the single moms I've known.

Some women are just caught up in the idea of having a baby. And I think sometimes they will grab any guy that will go along with it.

I just went to capitalize Mom when I was writing this. Is it a "title" to capitalize? I guess when I'm talking about a specific mom, my mom, then you capitalize it.

Save your own life - don't have kids!
A
Shark
Shark
A
My older sister got married at 26. She had baby #1 at age 33 and baby #2 at age 36. She would've preferred to have baby #2 at age 34 but it was not in the cards.

If she hadn't got pregnant by 37, they were going to adopt. They even went through the interview process and filled out all the paperwork in case it didn't happen.

They are both professionals, but they are also very involved with their children.

There are only three couples I know that truly planned out every aspect of having a child. The ones that make a very conscious decision, rather than following the herd, are by far, the best parents I know.

Everyone else just had kids because it was the next step after marriage!

Last edited by Anatasia; 01/08/08 01:45 PM.
L
Koala
Koala
L
Happy - you only capitalize "mom" if it's the name. If you were talking about your mom you would say "the other day I was talking to my mom and she said ..."

But if you were referring to that as her name, like, "the other day I was talking to Mom and she said ...."

One of my best friends with with a guy on and off for over six years. She wanted to get married and have kids, he didn't. Within three or four months of breaking up with him over this, she moved in with her new boyfriend after only 1 month of dating. They were engaged within six months and married a year after they met (they actually were planning the wedding before they got engaged.) She found out the day before the wedding that she had been pregnant for almost a month (she had told us for months that she wanted to be pregnant on her wedding day.) Their daughter was born 8 months later.

Her other friends and I are pretty sure that the only reason that she and her husband got together was because they both wanted marriage and children. The reason for having kids so soon was that her husband was "getting old" (he was 30 when they got married.)

P
Gecko
Gecko
P
And they say women are the brainwashed breeder-bots. That's just scary.

Childfree? Join us at www.thechildfreelife.com.
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Originally Posted By: lngilbert
Happy - you only capitalize "mom" if it's the name. If you were talking about your mom you would say "the other day I was talking to my mom and she said ..." But if you were referring to that as her name, like, "the other day I was talking to Mom and she said ...."

Yeah, I thought about that after I posted. Good call. I'm sure moms would like that it be capitalized all the time!

Originally Posted By: lngilbert
Her other friends and I are pretty sure that the only reason that she and her husband got together was because they both wanted marriage and children. The reason for having kids so soon was that her husband was "getting old" (he was 30 when they got married.)

Wow, I hope that works out. Okay, so they got their family, but it's pretty important that you like the father of your children. If he isn't that great, then there will soon be little replicas of him running around. After all, kids imitate their parents. If I wanted kids, I would want to find out if there was mental illness in my DH's family. I think there is, but none of the characters in his family have been diagnosed. I would also want to know about other health issues that run in my DH's family. I think it's really important to know someone before you share DNA with them! That's what kills me about people that have babies with someone they barely know. How scary is that?

Save your own life - don't have kids!
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
That seems to be a general problem about people getting into relationships in general. I once went into a forum where a bunch of guys were talking and asked them what they wanted in a girl. This was what most of the lists looked like:

1. Has to be attractive.
2. Can't be overweight.
3. Has to put up with me.

So I guess heroine addicts are, you know, fine.

Why people don't think about this stuff more, I have NO idea.

...the cake is a lie...the cake is a lie...the cake is a lie...
S
Shark
Shark
S
Cuz they don't think, most relationships are based off of lust..and then they just see if they work out from there. Most beneficial thing that helped me start my relationship with my wife, was immediately after getting together, I left the country for 6 months. All we did during that time was time was talk to each other, learn each other, and almost 4 years later, it still feels like day 1.

B
Shark
Shark
B
I couldn't agree with you more Skeeter. I think that the more time you have to talk with someone, learn about them even if it takes months or years will tell you so much about them and it's important to be able to carry on a conversation with the one you love. If you can't do that or they can't hold your interest, then why bother.

Relationships built on lust or attraction don't last. But relationships built on true respect, friendship, humor, and honesty are the ones that last.

Parakeet
Parakeet
Those that take care of that beforehand -- ie those that have a long distance relationship, do that first, if they do it right. That is, talk, see each other rarely, then decide to see if that person is the right one.

Ultimately, the illusion of youth goes away. Bodies age, stomachs and boobs sag, hair turns grey, wrinkles appear, but what makes the person worth being around is WHO the person is, what the person is on the inside, not what that person looks like.

Most people don't think that way. They lust after the bod. When the lust dies down, that is when people discover that they have trouble with/can't stand the other person day to day. frown

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.