logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#226067 01/11/06 08:16 PM
S
OP Offline
S
I'm just learning to spin and love it so much, but what are some small, easy projects for a beginner? I can crochet, am learning knitting, can weave, but need some ideas for small amounts of "beginner" woven wool. I'm working on some place mats, have done pot-holders, any ideas?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
#226068 01/12/06 07:01 AM
Amoeba
Amoeba
Do you have any of the little Weavette hand looms? The 4" square one makes very nice little 'mug rugs' for your coffee cups. If your yarn is on the finer side, just sew two together for a double thickness. The 2"x 4" makes great bookmarks too.

Otherwise, don't be afraid to save up some of this beginner yarn, especially if it's lumpy-bumpy stuff, until you're a more accomplished knitter. That's when you'll really appreciate it! Using slubby yarn in the yoke of a sweater, just above the cuffs, on a hat above the ribbing, etc. is fun and adds interest to the garment.

Do you scrapbook or make homemade greeting cards? If so, save some for those projects too. Handspun yarn works great for embellishments!

Twin Willows Farm
Registered Border Leicester Sheep
Ossineke, Michigan
#226069 01/12/06 05:59 PM
I would agree with Pegg -just use your new yarn on any project as embelishment. There appears to be a whole new wave of enthusiasm for yarn as art, with novelty spun yarns being sought after. There are many spinners who try their hardest to overspin, underspin, add bits of pieces etc which you do naturally as a beginner. I guess though as a beginner you want to get to the consistent stage before you purposefully try to do the novel. But start a larger project and spread these new yarns through it - a shawl? a bag? Combine commercial yarn with your new yarn. The ideas are endless. Would love to hear what you do come up with.

#226070 01/16/06 04:24 PM
A
A
When I was learning to spin, I bought the book, Homespun; Handknit BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.