FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Bill Vint | PBA Media Relations
Professional Bowlers Association | 719 Second Avenue, Suite 701 | Seattle, WA 98104

Page is First Pick as Franchise Players Select Teams for PBA League Rosters
Eight team rosters set for inaugural team competition in Detroit in January

LAS VEGAS (Nov. 9, 2012) - Left-hander Rhino Page of Dade City, Fla., the Professional Bowlers Association's 2008-09 Rookie of Year, was the top selection in the inaugural PBA League Draft held Friday at South Point Bowling Center. The historic PBA League, consisting of eight five-player teams of PBA stars, will make its debut Jan. 19-27 at Thunderbowl Lanes in Allen Park, Mich.

Page, a three-time PBA Tour titlist and a finalist in the 2012 PBA World Championship, was selected by PBA Hall of Famer Norm Duke, one of the eight Franchise Players who will head the PBAL teams. The Franchise Players were the top players in competition points during the 2011-12 PBA Tour season. Duke won the first pick in a PBA Draft Lottery held earlier during the GEICO PBA World Series of Bowling.

"I'm really happy," Duke said. "I had been studying the list even before I got to Las Vegas, and I got everyone I wanted. You have to realize after I picked Rhino, I wasn't going to have access to some of the other high-profile guys, but I got five bulldogs and I'm elated."

The draft was conducted in a serpentine fashion, whereby once the eight players selected their first picks, the draft order was reversed for each subsequent round. For example, Finland's Osku Palermaa, who picked eighth in the first round, then picked first in the second round. Each team consists of five players plus a supplemental pick who will only enter the competition if a roster player is unable to perform.

PBA Hall of Famer Pete Weber of St. Ann., Mo., drafted second, and his first pick was 13-time PBA Tour titlist Tommy Jones of Simpsonville, S.C.

"My first pick wasn't going to be anyone else," Weber said, "and after that, Tommy and I together talked over the guys we wanted to pick. Our sleeper is (former Wichita State University star John) Szczerbinski (of North Tonawanda, N.Y.), but he'll be all right. I'm just looking forward to seeing my team on TV."

Bill O'Neill of Langhorne, Pa., picked third.

"I'm very happy," O'Neill said. "There were a few guys I had high on my list who I didn't think would be there, but there they were."

Australia's Jason Belmonte was No. 4 in the draft order.

"I have a really well-balanced team. Everyone has TV experience, everyone has big-time tournament experience," he said. "Walking into (Thunderbowl), I know everyone is going to be prepared. I'm really happy with my third pick, Parker Bohn III. He's a proven champion. He's going to give 110 percent, and I know he has something to prove."

Mike Fagan of Dallas followed Belmonte.

"I feel really good about our team. We don't have any weak links," Fagan said. "I wasn't too concerned about having one superstar; I was looking more at the composite of our group."

Reigning PBA Player of the Year Sean Rash of Montgomery, Ill., also was pleased.

"I got one of the best lefties on tour (Ryan Ciminelli of Cheektowaga, N.Y.) Ryan Shafer is a proven champion. I got the greatest player of all-time (47-time PBA Tour champion Walter Ray Williams Jr. of Ocala, Fla.) I looked into who has bowled well currently and at Thunderbowl (in 2009) and team chemistry as well."

No. 7 Chris Barnes of Double Oak, Texas, said, "I feel great about my team. Everyone I drafted was in the top 25 in points last year. They all have the ability to play straight or hook the ball. With the exception of me, they're all young. They are all team players. I didn't think (first pick) Dom (Barrett of England) would get to me, and I certainly didn't think (fellow Englishman) Stu (Williams) would still be on the board. I have no complaints."

Palermaa, who has extensive international experience, picked Sweden's Martin Larsen and Canada's Dan MacLelland with his back-to-back picks. "The best guys were going to go first, but I've got a versatile team. That's what you have to go for."

The inaugural PBA League will introduce its unique professional bowling league concept, including celebrity owners, during the Detroit Winter Swing Jan. 19-27 at Thunderbowl in, concluding the week with five ESPN television shows including a live telecast of PBA League Round 1 on Sunday, Jan. 27. Subsequent shows will be taped to air on Feb. 10, Feb. 17, March 3 and March 24.

The team championship will be decided during the PBA League Elias Cup Finals, honoring PBA founder Eddie Elias, at Woodland Bowl in Indianapolis on Sunday, March 31 (airing Sunday, April 7 on ESPN).

During the first four days in Detroit, the PBA will conduct a series of open-field tournaments (the Carmen Salvino Classic, Mark Roth Classic, Don Carter Classic and Earl Anthony Players Championship). Those four events will award individual PBA Tour titles and the qualifying scores posted by each PBAL team member will be combined to produce the team qualifying scores for the ESPN telecasts. All PBAL matches on ESPN will be Baker Format matches where each team member will bowl two frames in each game.

PBA LEAGUE TEAM LINEUPS
South Point Bowling Center, Las Vegas, Friday

NORM DUKE, CLERMONT, FLA.
Dallas Strikers (celebrity owner Terrell Owens)
2, Rhino Page, Dade City, Fla.
3, Amleto Monacelli, Venezuela.
4, Bryon Smith, Roseburg, Ore.
5, Mike Machuga, Erie, Pa.
Supplemental pick: Mike Wolfe, New Albany, Ind.

PETE WEBER, ST. ANN, MO.
Team name, celebrity owner to be announced
2, Tommy Jones, Simpsonville, S.C.
3, Scott Norton, Costa Mesa, Calif.
4, Jack Jurek, Lackawanna, N.Y.
5, John Szczerbinski, N. Tonawanda, N.Y.
Supplemental pick: Brad Angelo, Lockport, N.Y.

BILL O'NEILL, LANGHORNE, PA.
Phillie Hitmen (celebrity owner Kevin Hart)
2, Mika Koivuniemi, Finland.
3, Chris Loschetter, Avon, Ohio.
4, Mike DeVaney, Hemet, Calif.
5, Dick Allen, Columbia, S.C.
Supplemental pick: Dino Castillo, Carrollton, Texas.

JASON BELMONTE, AUSTRALIA
Team name to be announced (celebrity owner Chris Paul)
2, Wes Malott, Pflugerville, Texas.
3, Andres Gomez, Colombia.
4, Parker Bohn III, Jackson, N.J.
5, Dave Wodka, Henderson, Nev.
Supplemental pick: Ildemaro Ruiz, Venezuela.

MIKE FAGAN, DALLAS
Motor City Muscle (celebrity owner Jerome Bettis)
2, Tom Smallwood, Saginaw, Mich.
3, Mike Scroggins, Amarillo, Texas.
4, Ronnie Russell, Marion, Ind.
5, Jesse Buss, Belvidere, Ill.
Supplemental pick: Kelly Kulick, Union, N.J.

SEAN RASH, MONTGOMERY, ILL.
2, Ryan Ciminelli, Cheektowaga, N.Y.
3, Ryan Shafer, Horseheads, N.Y.
4, Walter Ray Williams Jr., Ocala, Fla.
5, Jason Sterner, McDonough, Ga.
Supplemental pick: Tom Hess, Urbandale, Iowa.

CHRIS BARNES, DOUBLE OAK, TEXAS
2, Dom Barrett, England.
3, Josh Blanchard, Gilbert, Ariz.
4, Stuart Williams, England.
5, Nathan Bohr, Wichita, Kan.
Supplemental pick: Jon VanHees, Charlestown, R.I.

OSKU PALERMAA, FINLAND
2, Martin Larsen, Sweden.
3, Dan MacLelland, Canada.
4, Patrick Allen, Wesley Chapel, Fla.
5, Thomas Larsen, Denmark
Supplemental pick: Anthony LaCaze, Melrose Park, Ill.

About the PBA
The Professional Bowlers Association (PBA) is an organization of more than 3,200 of the best bowlers from 17 countries who compete in PBA Tour, PBA International Tour, PBA Regional and PBA50 Tour events. Nearly one million ESPN viewers watch PBA Tour on Sundays during the tour season and thousands around the world watch PBA activities on Xtra Frame, the PBA's exclusive video streaming service. PBA sponsors include Alka Seltzer Plus, Bayer, Brunswick, Ebonite International, GEICO, Jack Link's, MOTIV, Storm Products and the United States Bowling Congress, among others. For more information, log on to www.pba.com.

Clyde "Choc" Higa, Editor
http://bowling.bellaonline.com
USBC Bronze Certified Coach
International Bowling Media Association