Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#715204 09/20/11 09:35 AM
C
casrev Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hi, I was on a trip recently and came across a parfleche in a museum, as this was a term coined by the French I'm wondering does anyone know any native american terms for parfleche. Kind regards, Brian

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Hi Brian,

Parfleche is the French name for the bag that was usually made to carry dried meats or pemmican. The original name of the rawhide bag would have been called by different names depending on the tribe. Each tribe has their own language. Some people now just call it a bundle, or bag.

Jane should be along here today and may have more information for you.

Welcome to BellaOnline forums.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Casrev, Welcome to the forum!

With complete honesty, I had never heard of a "Parfleche" Bag until I joined this forum several years ago. I had always heard them called "Possible" bags here in the Deep South of the US. The word "possible" may be a loose translation for what these were called in an Indian language, and Parfleche was probably borrowed from the French as some point.

So many "foreign" terms and words have been incorporated into our languages, the origin of this French term used for a Native American necessity may be lost to history. There may be a story or two about this name, but it's not hard to imagine a French trapper with an Indian guide eating by the fire and "swapping" words. Parfleche, it's just a fun word to say, and apparently got passed about.

Will have to see if I can find a story other than my imaginary scenario. I've also wondered why that word is used.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
It derives from the French "parer" meaning "parry" or "defend", and "fl�che" meaning "arrow", so called because the hide was tough enough to be used as a shield.

Another site shows some beautiful bags, all different kinds, and they are all called parfleche:
Shoshone Parfleche

Phyllis Doyle Burns
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
I poked around and found a little more information.

All the Tribes mentioned and associated with the term Parfleche seem to be Upper Plains and over to the Pacific Central and Northwest. Sioux, Cheyenne, and Crow are a few more. One reference also included Comanche.

An encyclopedia source cited the word as being of French Canadian origin, and listed the variation "Parflesh." Another term used for these is "Pa-Keep" bag. To me, this one seems like it could be a hybrid. "Pa" may be an Indian word, and "Keep" from English.

Use of the word Parfleche has apparently broadened to include anything made with stiff rawhide, including jewelry. Shapes are cut, painted, and fashioned into earrings and pendants. There are sources to purchase parfleche. It does not take modern paints, but the traditional pigments have been recreated. These recently became available on-line as well.

I had a pair of painted parfleche earrings my Mother gave me years ago, and tried to find them for a photo to include. They have disappeared, as things frequently do around here. Makes me wonder if there's a Little Person somewhere wearing them smile

Last edited by Jane - Native American; 09/22/11 02:27 PM.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
Hmmmm...are those Little People of the Cherokee still active? They must love Parfleche and other pretty things.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
C
casrev Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks for your many helpful responses, 'possible' bags thats interesting considering the uses, I did a little searching and found out that the Lakota translation for parfleche was wokpa. I didn't find any other names for it used by other tribes, still looking though, will get back to you if I find anything. Thanks again for you help.

Moderated by  Sacred Tobacco Woman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.