logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
Every year we so look forward to the Farmer's Markets that spring up around our local area.

The biggest one is in Sparks, NV. Every Thursday, all summer long, the Market is crowded with folks from all over Washoe County. We also drive around the surrounding areas to look for other markets during the summer, up until late October when the autumn harvests are in.

My favorite things to look for there are the preserves, jams and jellies that the local farm people provide. Apple Butter is my most favorite item to look for.

Crafts I do not look for to buy, but love looking at them. The types of crafts I prefer are the Native American beading crafts, which I find at the Indian Colony craft fairs -- which is another thing we so look forward to here.

Do you have a Farmer's Market in your area? What special items do you look for?

Last edited by Phyllis-Folk/Myth; 05/12/11 11:15 AM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
In St. Louis we have the Soulard Farmer's Market. I'm not sure, but I think it's open year round. But my favorite thing is the local tomatoes during the Summer. You would think that here in the "heart land" we would have reasonable prices on in season produce, farm stands, etc. I always could find them in New Jersey, but not in Missouri. The supermarkets don't really drop prices for local or in season produce, so I love the Farmer's Market because the prices and quality of the local produce is great.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Every Monday in our town of Churintzio, Michoacan a tianguis/open-air market is set-up and runs from about 10AM-3PM.

In fact, I am going on a short trip next week to Queretaro but I am holding off until leaving on Tuesday as I do not like missing our market day when I can help it. I most like the fresh cheeses, the sweet gorditas, the fresh tostadas and the ever-changing roving vendors selling things like hammocks.

I wrote an article about it titled "Farmers' Market Mexican Style." Phyliss, you might find it interesting- here is the link to it:

Mexico site

OP Offline
Helen, like you, I so love the local produce that is better and healthier than what I can find in stores. The squashes in the fall are so good and add such wonderful side dishes to meals.

My future son-in-law has a fantastic casserole he fixes for Thanksgiving that is a medley of squashes and a wonderful sauce.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
OP Offline
Wonderful article, Les. It makes me want to run down to your village and attend the tianguis (market day) to find all those fabulous items you mention.

I used to watch a culinary show on PBS that is from Mexico. I cannot now remember the chef's name, but he and his wife live in Mexico. For each recipe he presented on his show, he first showed a film of how and where he shopped for the ingredients. His shopping trips were always at the open air markets. I believe he also has his own restaurant in the town he lives in. I wish that show still came on my PBS channel.

Thanks for sharing your article. smile

Phyllis Doyle Burns
OP Offline
When I lived in California, my friends and I always attended the Gilroy Garlic Festival. It is always held the last full weekend in July.

OMGosh! Folks can smell the heavenly aroma of garlic long before arriving at the festival. And the foods! Perfection for garlic lovers. Folks do not need a map to find the market -- they just follow the aromas.

Does anyone have such festivals in your area?

Phyllis Doyle Burns
OP Offline
I found the site for the Mexican cooking show:
Mexico One Plate At A Time

Rick Bayless is the chef and he has some awesome recipes. I love it when he takes his audience through the open air markets.

Last edited by Phyllis-Folk/Myth; 05/14/11 07:41 PM.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
About 2 hours from where we live is Uruapan, the second largest city in Michoacan. Due to the amount and quality (especially Hass) of the avocados grown in its municipality, the city bills itself as the "Avocado Capital of the World." Every November and December for three weeks the Feria de Aguacate/Avocado Fair is held there and draws huge crowds, the hotels increase their rates, and there is a yearly competition to break the world's record for the largest amount of guacamole.

OP Offline
I would so love to attend your Avocado Fair. Avocados are a huge part of my summer meals. Guacamole is my favorite dip -- I also put it on scrambled eggs with sour cream.

I always look forward to driving over to Fallon in the summer to visit Lattin Farms -- a family owned and run farm that has a huge selection of vegetables and fruits.

The Hearts of Gold Cantaloupe fair is our favorite time to go.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I found the site for the Mexican cooking show:
Mexico One Plate At A Time

Rick Bayless is the chef and he has some awesome recipes. I love it when he takes his audience through the open air markets.

Rick Bayless, who is based out of Chicago, is considered by some to be the the best American chef who specializes in Mexican cookery. The one and only Mexican cookbook that I have is his Authentic Mexican- Regional Cooking From the Heart of Mexico.

Many months ago while I was in Morelia, the stately and grand colonial capital of Michoacan, I was passing by the upscale cafes across from the main plaza and cathedral and I heard a voice that I instantly recognized. There was Rick Bayless dining with some some upscale Mexicans.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.