Next Thread
Print Thread
#658154 01/24/11 10:07 AM
H
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
H
What is your favorite snack you share with your bird? My bird loves to share my morning smoothie.

Heather Thomas
Birds
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
My pigeon Kiri eats anything that is on my plate if she can get at it! She loves to pull spaghetti from my plate and run off with it. She loves mashed potatoes. She loves salt too and often pecks at the salt pot.

I share my apples with my two little rosy bourkes. The don't come to me so I put it in their feeding cage.

Linda Heywood

Linda19 #658170 01/24/11 11:14 AM
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
My peach-faced lovebirds, northern cardinal, and half-moon conure
all stop what they may be doing and dive into the unsalted popcorn
that they often get in the afternoon as a snack. My parakeets seem to prefer fresh steamed corn kernels. The conure and cardinal also adore unsalted peanuts that I gladly share with them. All of the avian mascotas also crave steamed brown rice.

H
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
H
Linda,
I can picture your pigeon running off with your spaghetti! If we are drinking anything with either of our birds in the vicinity, they will chase your hand with the glass in it until you share. My macaw thinks it's great fun to steal the ice cubes from my drink and then run so I have to chase him to get it back!

Heather Thomas
Birds
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
LOL Heather I would love to see the ice cube theatrics!

I wish I could get my rosies to sit on my hand but they hate me lol. The palest one shrieks at me and the darker one dive bombs me.

I read somewhere that when they are in pairs or groups they are not so easy to train because they have each other for back up!

Anyway I just leave them to get on with it, while chasing Kiri around the house trying to rescue anything she thinks will make a good nest.

She came running in with cotton ear buds in her beak the other day that she had stolen from my son's room!

Linda Heywood

Linda19 #659079 01/28/11 01:39 PM
H
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
H
Linda,
I know there is a lot of controversy surrounding wing clipping. However, the behavior you describe sounds like you are having dominance issues. Rosies are known for being easy to tame. Obviously this is not always the case. If it were me, I would clip their wings. If you've never done this before you would want to take your birds to someone who has. Then I would initially work with a washcloth to avoid the worst of the biting (never use gloves) and handle them each day. Just be very gentle and talk to them in a soothing voice. I believe this could change their behavior. AND if for some reason it doesn't work out, you simply let their flight feathers grow back and you're back where you've started.

Heather Thomas
Birds

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.