logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Raccoons are intelligent, mischievous, fun, in addition destructive, may bite, and scratch. You will also see part of my pet raccoon family that I adore; lots of cute raccoon pictures. I personally love these exotic pets, everything about them, their personalities, their antics, even their odor. Have you had a raccoon as a pet? Do you think they could make a good pet? Please give your opinion about pet raccoons.

Great raccoon pictures!
Pet raccoons

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hi Diana,

Interesting article! And very cute photos. I suppose almost anything could be a pet for someone, but I have had chickens as pets and raccoons are vicious killers of chickens, so they're not my favorite creatures. My kids used to feed bologna by hand to many of the wild creatures where they were raised, in rural north west New Jersey; including raccoons and even black bears! I never knew about the bears until about a month ago. They were in our yard almost daily in Summer and were very used to people; but I would have had a stoke if I'd known the kids were hand feeding them!

Actually, I miss the regular visits from bears, now that I live in Missouri. They were great fun to watch, from a reasonable distance.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
I got an interesting response on Facebook about this article. It was rather charming. I am checking to see if she minds if I cross post her story.

Many of these animals have made themselves MY pets. How would a injured/sick baby raccoon know to climb my screen and whimper for me to help it? She was so dehydrated, other than hydrating her I couldn't do a thing about the fleas and ticks. I held her in my arms all night feeling her breathe. I was so worried she�d die during the night. I felt her sweet little paws on my face all night feeling, making sure I was there. All night I could feel the bugs crawling on me. I had to deflea and detick myself after that night. She was a wonderful raccoon though. My favorite pets are the raccoon and the skunk.

Bears? I've been there too. I lived way back in the woods, on a cliff over looking a lake. We had a good and respectful relationship with the bears. Many times we crossed paths with mother bears and her cubs on our walks. One time I was walking a forest service road with my kids. I felt something behind me. A mother bear and her cubs had waited for us to pass before she crossed with her kids. She came out of the woods and crossed right behind us. I never felt alarmed, it was just what life was in the woods.

I love chickens too. All animals must eat something, I am certainly not favoring the raccoon. I spent a long time protecting my chicken from predators. But, that was nature. We had coyotes and raccoons on the ranch. I wish I could label their little foreheads with this is ok to eat and this is not smile

Pet raccoon

B
B
I had a friend that had one that was orphaned (her husband found the mother giving birth and came back to check and apperently had a breech baby that she just couldn't give birth to).He just couldn't leave them there. They raised the two babies for over two years and they played with us( my sister and I were kids at the time)the dogs and cats and never once scratched or bit us. However her curtains were a whole different story. When the babies reached about 2 years old they went outside and just threw hissy fits and didn't want to be in the house anymore. They did stick around outside for probably 6 or 7 more years though. As for myself I don't think I would go and buy one as a pet. I beleive that they are meant to be wild and unless the situation is such that they can not be wild that I would consider taking one in as a rescue.

A
A
Yes,my family had several racoons when I was a child growing up.And we,,I loved them all,they make great pets ,but be sure children do not agrivate them.Racoons live long lives ,so be sure to do your home work before getting one.good luck,and enjoy

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
auntmae 54 raccoons do make great pets, but only for some people. Your advice is excellent, do your homework first!

Learn about the Pet Raccoon

What was your favorite behaviorism in the pet raccoon. What made you laugh and smile smile

Last edited by Diana-Exotic Pets Editor; 09/09/10 11:09 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.