Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
It came from outside the Solar System. And it's very strange. It's official is designation 1I/2017 U1 and it's been named 'Oumuamua.

But what is it? The picture is an artist's rendering using the data collected from telescopes. It's too small actually to be seen, even through a powerful telescope.

It's an asteroid - the first one observed visiting our Solar System from elsewhere. Its designation 1I/2017 U1 shows that it's the first "I" (interstellar) space rock known. It's up to 400 meters long and cigar-shaped. No known asteroid has ever been this shape.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
'Oumuamua (officially designated 11/2017/U1), first identified interstellar visitor, came and went very quickly. Here's a short video about the interstellar visitor published in November 2017.
Scientists were surprised and delighted to detect --for the first time-- an interstellar asteroid passing through our solar system. Additional observations brought more surprises: the object is cigar-shaped with a somewhat reddish hue. The asteroid, named ‘Oumuamua by its discoverers, is up to one-quarter mile (400 meters) long and highly-elongated—perhaps 10 times as long as it is wide. That is unlike any asteroid or comet observed in our solar system to date, and may provide new clues into how other solar systems formed.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
On December 13, 2017, at the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada, Toronto Centre, Ron Macnaughton gave a presentation on the mystery of the celestial object called "Oumuamua". Is it a comet or an asteroid? Where did it come from?

This video - less than 10 mis - is a good summary of the discovery of the mystery object and how we know it's come from another star system. And if you likeAustralian accents . . . .

A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
Mona, I was able to watch something on TV - it was about how the earth was formed. Talking about comets and asteroids, planets, etc. coming through the solar system. It was narrated by an astronaut whose last name began with an M. I didn't get to see the entire story but it was a version I had never heard before.

Mike Massimino

Last edited by Angie; 03/27/18 07:45 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
I've not seen the program, Angie, but it sounds interesting.

Moderated by  Mona - Astronomy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.