Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
A
A new Twitter campaign is underway today with female directors tweeting pictures of themselves at work behind the camera. "Homeland" director Lesli Linka Glatter voiced her support for an equal playing field saying "it should not be harder for our daughters to direct than our sons". Aline Brosh McKenna, the executive producer of "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend", was the originator of the campaign and hopes it will continue each Friday.

Angela K. Peterson
Drama Movies
Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
A
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
A
Jennifer Fox is a writer and director whose film "The Tale" premiered at the Sundance Film Festival. Starring Laura Dern and Jason Ritter, the film is an autobiographical account of how a woman recovers from the sexual abuse she endured as a teen. Look for "The Tale" to air on HBO soon.

Angela K. Peterson
Drama Movies
Editor
A
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
A
Yesterday, Francis Ford Coppola and Paramount Pictures dedicated an office building to director Dorothy Arzner. She was a film editor in the silent era who graduated to directing and was the first woman to join the Directors Guild in 1938. Arzner taught film at UCLA and was one of Coppola's instructors. The Paramount dedication is an honor long overdue.

Angela K. Peterson
Drama Movies
Editor
A
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
A
Actress Daryl Hannah has directed her first feature film, "Paradox", which will make its debut at the SXSW Fest. Netflix scooped up the distribution rights and will stream the film beginning March 23rd. "Paradox" will have a limited theatrical release. Hannah wrote the screenplay, as well, and chose rocker Neil Young to star in what she calls a "free-spirited tale of music and love".

Angela K. Peterson
Drama Movies
Editor
A
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
A
Melina Kanakaredes is developing an independent biopic on the life of psychiatrist Elizabeth Kubler-Ross. Kanakaredes is producing and co-writing the screenplay. Kubler-Ross wrote the now-classic text "On Death and Dying" and fought for the rights of end-of-life patients.

Angela K. Peterson
Drama Movies
Editor
A
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
A
"You can have the most beautifully designed and lit and the most gorgeously shot film with the most exquisite use of music, but if the writing and the acting doesn’t work, you’re screwed. It’s all about performance, it really is. Obviously, I’m in love with cinematic beauty as much as the next person in every language of the cinema, but I really do feel like the actor is the center of it all. If the performances don’t come together, you have nowhere to go. You don’t have a film."

I absolutely agree with this attitude expressed by writer-director Lynn Shelton. Her latest film "Outside In", starring Edie Falco, opens this weekend.

Angela K. Peterson
Drama Movies
Editor
A
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
A
“One of these days, men are going to get over the fool idea that women have no brains and quit getting insulted at the thought that a skirt-wearer can do their work quite as well as they can. And I don’t believe that day is very far off."

Writer/Director/Producer/Actress Cleo Madison in 1916

Madison directed at least 18 short films for Universal from 1915-1916. Unfortunately, only two of them have survived. Madison continued acting until 1924 when she suddenly quit the business.

Angela K. Peterson
Drama Movies
Editor
A
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
A
Writer-director Ana Lily Amirpour has written a new film entitled "Blood Moon". Like her intriguing debut "A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night" (which I reviewed on the Drama Movie site), the pic features a female heroine with supernatural abilities. "Blood Moon" is set in New Orleans. Amirpour stated, “I thought that was an interesting place to set a story about a girl who has some disturbing abilities but who isn’t acclimated in any way to society, and learns to be with people in such a chaotic place.” Amirpour and her producers will be shopping the film at the Cannes Film Festival which begins this Tuesday, May 8th.

Angela K. Peterson
Drama Movies
Editor
A
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
A
Haifaa Al-Mansour is a Saudi Arabian filmmaker now living in Los Angeles. She is the first female filmmaker from Saudi Arabia and was recently appointed to the board of Saudi Arabia's General Authority for Culture.

Regarding her reaction to the cultural restrictions placed on women, Haifaa Al-Mansour stated, “If you become consumed in anger it stops you from being productive. I want to make films. I want to move beyond that anger. I hope that if we are able to show people versions of themselves on screen and they’re able to laugh or listen to music, then mentalities will change. That is more effective in the long run than becoming angry. That will bring about deeper change in society.”

Angela K. Peterson
Drama Movies
Editor
A
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
A
This week, I watched Claudia Weill's 1978 indie film "Girl Friends". Melanie Mayron stars as a photographer who has to adjust to a new reality when her best friend moves out and gets married. In an interview with critic Roger Ebert, Weill stated "I really don't care too much what I make movies about. I think I'd make a movie about anything, just so long as one element was there: I want to make movies about characters we're rooting for. I love to be on the side of the people in movies. I don't really care what they're doing. They could be escaping from China, discovering an important cure, getting married. If we get involved with them, that's a movie."

Angela K. Peterson
Drama Movies
Editor
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Angela - Drama Movies 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/29/24 10:59 AM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/29/24 10:15 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:28 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:26 PM
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.