Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
On Wednesday, January 31st, it's the third "supermoon" in a row. That means that the full Moon will coincide with the lunar perigee, i.e., the closest point in the Moon's orbit.

By some people's reckoning - though not mine - it's also a "blue Moon" as the second full Moon in January.

And the best bit? Some lucky folks will also have a chance to see a lunar eclipse! (Sigh. I wish I were going to be one of them.)

Sponsored Post Advertisement
J
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
J
Originally Posted By Mona - Astronomy
On Wednesday, January 31st, it's the third "supermoon" in a row. That means that the full Moon will coincide with the lunar perigee, i.e., the closest point in the Moon's orbit...

Hi Mona, I'm really looking forward to seeing it. The previous one was quite spectacular and I believe that this one is going to be even better! Fingers crossed for a clear sky in the Midlands, UK. Joy

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Some call the next full Moon (January 31st) a "blue moon". Is the Moon actually going to look blue then?

"Once in a blue moon" is a common English expression and it refers to a rare event. But why a blue Moon? And what is a blue Moon if it isn't blue? There is no unique answer, but here are a few things it could be.

Once in a Blue Moon

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
REMEMBER: As if being a super "blue" full Moon on January 31st were not enough, many lucky folk will also be able to see a partial or total lunar eclipse. Do you want to know if you'll be one of the fortunate ones? Timeanddate.com will work it out for you if you put in your location.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Some of you will be fortunate enough to see a lunar eclipse in a few days. But here's what may be either a preview or a consolation prize for you. It's a video of a total lunar eclipse over Tajikistan in 2011.

The Earth moves between the Moon and the Sun, causing the moon to fade dramatically. The Moon never gets completely dark, though, since the Earth's atmosphere refracts some light. As the featured video begins, the scene may appear to be daytime and sunlit, but actually it is nighttime and lit by the glow of the full Moon. As the Moon becomes eclipsed and fades, background stars can be seen reflected in the foreground lake. The sky surrounding the eclipsed moon suddenly appears to be full of stars and highlighted by the plane of our Milky Way Galaxy. The sequence repeats with a closer view, and the final image shows the placement of the eclipsed Moon near the Eagle, Swan, Trifid, and Lagoon nebulas. Nearly two hours after the eclipse started, the moon emerges from the Earth's shadow and its bright full glare again dominates the sky.

Video Credit & Copyright: Jean-Luc Dauvergne (Ciel et Espace); Music: Valère Leroy & Sophie Huet (Space-Music)
Commentary: Robert Nemiroff (MTU) & Jerry Bonnell (UMCP)

Moderated by  Mona - Astronomy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.