Print Thread
#923066 09/11/17 04:16 AM
L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L
Hello there one and all,

How many herbs are you growing right now? Lots? Some? None?

Go here for some encouraging chatter about just how good herbs are for us.

The Promise of Herbs

I keep on keeping on because it is the only thing I can do to keep me on track ...

Let us know your stories about your herb containers and if you have some interesting recipes using mainly herbs, let us all know, beauty, health or gardening!

Cheers now

Last edited by Lestie4containergardens; 09/11/17 04:20 AM.

Lestie Mulholland
Container Gardening Editor

Contain your Delight - it's easy!
Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L
Hello all,

I came across this smoothie recipe which I thought I would post - hope you like it, make it and then come back and tell us your thoughts.

Missy More Mango Smoothie (Serves one)

1/2 cup chopped fresh mango
1/2 tsp kelp powder (or two kelp tablets crushed)
1 TBS chopped lemon balm leaves
1 TBS Pennywort OR parsley OR calendula petals/leaves
1 chopped stalk of celery.

Place all ingredients in a blender and liquidize. Add water or herb tea to thin it down to taste. If there is no mango, then papaya is an alternative you can use.

Sounds as if it packs a punch alright!

Cheers

Lestie Mulholland

C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
That sounds so refreshing!

Connie Mistler Davidson-Editor-ADD/Sandwiches/Reading
Attention Deficit Disorder
Sandwiches
Reading
Avatar: Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

My EBook link.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
I try to keep my parsley going all winter outside. I grew basil this year but didn't use it for much cooking. It sure was pretty though and the finches loved the seeds.

I was thinking about starting some herbs for the winter but I do not have a sunny window.

Which of the herbs would do well outside during the winter?

L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L
Hello Angie and all interested Others,

Funnily enough I am doing a series of articles on herbs and two that are nearly done include Holding on to Herbs (preserving and freezing etc.) and Weathery Herbs (about seasonal growing etc.) I was going to intersperse these with other subjects but if you want me to I will just move up the 'weathery' one for next Monday, no fuss. Let me know. It will come up sometime before the northern winter anyway.

In short though to answer your query above please let me know what sort of winter you have, what zone do you live in?

Then next you indicate that you want to start a winter herb garden. If I understand you correctly then I am not sure that this will be and easy thing to do. Even cold hardy herbs need to be established before they will withstand very cold temperatures.

However, if you have herbs already growing then you will need to bring them 'inside' for a warmer environment (there are caveats here too). Bay trees and Rosemary (if established) can be harvested over the winter months but not too much as most plants are dormant during these cold and frosty days.

There may be others but winter hardy herbs include Chives, Mint, Catnip, Tarragon, Parsley, Lavender, Winter Savory, Oreganum, Sage and Lovage. Many of these die back and stop growing though spring back quickly in spring ha ha.

If you have established herb pots then keep them well mulched, watch watering (they need less), make a newspaper hat (it works for me!) and let them get any sunshine that is available. As mentioned above, remember they will be dormant so harvest with care.

I hope this bit of chatter has helped, but I would visit the closest and friendliest garden centre, see what they have in stock, ask, ask, ask ... and then choose accordingly.

Here in Johannesburg we don't get snow and our winter temperatures are like summer in many other parts of the world. I hope some snowy people reading this will join in this conversation and pass on some tips and advice.

Cheers for now

Last edited by Lestie4containergardens; 09/11/17 11:46 PM.

Lestie Mulholland

L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L
Hi Connie - I hope all is well. I AM ON DIET so would you please stop writing such delicious sandwich newsletters! Thank you.

Okay, okay, be still my heart! I love reading them so don't stop, I was just kidding and even if I am on this everblasting diet, a girl can imagine can't she?

In connection with the smoothie recipe above though, I have not tried it yet but seem to think I would want to sweeten it with honey or something. Has anyone else tried it yet? Do tell.

Anyway and all that,

Cheers

Lestie Mulholland

Moderated by  Lestie - ContainerGardens 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.