Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human

Three days orbiting Earth strapped into a space capsule so primitive that no one could land in it. So how did the cosmonaut get home? That's part of the story of the first woman in space, on a solo flight twenty years before NASA sent Sally Ride into orbit on a Space Shuttle.

Valentina Tereshkova - the First Spacewoman

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Here is an excellent infographic about Tereshkova's flight. The drawing gives you a good sense of how tight a fit the space capsule was. I have seen the actual Vostok 6. It was one of the artifacts that the science museum in London was able to borrow for its big exhibition Cosmonauts last year.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
I've always liked this photo of Valentina Tereshkova in her spacesuit, emerging from Vostok 6. It's staged, of course, because she and Vostok 6 landed separately - and nobody took her picture when she landed.

The spacesuit was a modfied version of what the men wore, but apparently it wasn't a very good modification. When Tereshkova herself became a space engineer, spacesuits suitable for women was something she worked on. (It was unfortunate that they wouldn't be needed for nearly two decades after her own flight.)

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
This is a really sweet picture of Yuri Gagarin and Valentina Tereshkova. It seems to be an official portrait-sitting, but it looks to me as though he's tickling her ear and both are quite amused about it. And what a smile! You can see why it was said of Gagarin's smile that it "lit up the Cold War". Here's more about the first man in space.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
This picture shows Valentina with daughter Elena speaking at Mission control with husband/father cosmonaut Andrian Nikolaev.

Photo credit and copyright: Vladimir Akimov / Sputnik

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Thanks for posting this Mona...golly it does bring back memories. What a woman.

Was a young kid at school when she arrived on the scene, and she was a such a heroine, and Vorbild for all of us. Some even had her poster on Dorm walls

Nevertheless years later, and we are not going back to the stone age here, when I wanted to study the sciences at UNI, they were subjects in which I always came first in all related disciplines for some reason, was told only males could be considered as places were limited, and places in the sciences were a male preserve.

So progress in the Soviet Union was already streets ahead of us all that time ago previously, despite the myth that they were backward...in some things don't think so.

Philosophy, Politics and Economics had to become my route, and economics the master, but nothing has ever fascinated more than science...and of course those first ventures into space.

But Frau Valentina Tereshkova never stopped being not only my heroine but that of thousands of others. So thank you for the mention, as there are no doubt many out there who after so many years have never heard of her, or the role she played in the develoment of space travel. smile

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Francine, I'm glad you liked it, and glad to find another admirer of Valentina Tereshkova. She's still a heroic figure in Russia and at one time was a great encouragement to girls to go aim for science and technology instead of traditional women's roles, though that may be weakening.

Moderated by  Mona - Astronomy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.