#918800 03/14/17 03:43 AM
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
Do you know the history behind the time change event we call Daylight Saving Time? Did you know it was first implemented in Germany during World War I in order to save energy?

Click on the link below to read more about the history of this event.

Daylight Saving Time

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
Didn't know that and wish they would stop changing the clocks - keep it either Standard or Daylight Savings Times. What a nuisance.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
I'm with you, Angie.

Adjusting your schedule by setting the clocks an hour ahead disrupts your body rhythms. I always felt sick for about 5-7 days afterwards while I got in sync with the new time. You can adjust more easily when turning it back an hour.

I like having the light in the afternoon rather than the morning when my eyes are closed anyway. So I'd be glad to turn the clocks forward and then leave them there. I hate this turning them back and forth, especially as there's scant evidence that any energy is actually saved.

Here's an article discussing pros and cons of "daylight saving". But it seems a bit off that you have to show DST is useless - even harmful - to get rid of it. For all the fuss and inconvenience involved, it's about time governments came up with some clear evidence that it's worthwhile!

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
Mona, time zones are set by the government anyway - we are daylight to dusk creatures.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Yes, the time zones are set by governments, but there is a rationale to them. Dividing a circle (360°) by 24 (hours in a day) you get zones of 15° of longitude. This is the basic framework for setting time zones, but it's not obligatory to do it precisely.

The boundaries can be wiggly to keep communities together, for example. Norway is easily big enough for two time zones, but it's all on the same time as western Europe. Northeastern Norway is very sparsely populated, and doesn't have it's own time zone. Some places use half hour divisions.

The general idea is to keep the clocks at least somewhat related to the Sun.

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
Before communications and more travel (like trains back in the day), clocks only kept the hour. I just wish they would pick one time and leave it.

N
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
N
I hope they stop it soon! It seems everybody hates it but they keep doing it anyway!

V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
I agree with the energy savings aspect of it. There was a study done by economists at the University of California at Santa Barbara for Indiana when the state moved to Daylight Saving Time in 2006.

They found a 1 percent rise in residential electricity use because of an additional demand for air conditioning on summer evenings and due to heating in the early spring and late fall mornings. Economists have also said that the increased recreational activity during Daylight Saving Time has resulted in more gasoline usage for autos and rec vehicles.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor

Moderated by  Vance - Crime Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.