Print Thread
#918006 02/07/17 01:52 AM
L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have any advice on dealing with retrenchment when interviewing for a new job? Has anyone found that the company hiring thinks that the person who has been retrenched is somehow not 'up to par'? That somehow it is their fault that they were retrenched?

I have read in other places that having to retrench workers or make positions redundant is often a way of dealing with inadequate management decisions and other corporate nonsense.

What do you think?

What job search issues connected to these can you tell of? If you were retrenched, what did you do to find a new position? How did you cope in the meantime?

I am mixing up things here and probably asking too much in one post but whatever you have to say on this topic of retrenchment and/or redundancy and job search will be useful.

Thanks

Lestie Mulholland
Container Gardening Editor

Contain your Delight - it's easy!
Sponsored Post Advertisement
C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
When my husband's job was axed, along with 25% of the other jobs at the company, he took a temporary to permanent position at minimum wage, in a nearby town. He had a 45 minute commute each way. This led to him being hired permanently in this entry-level job. He could bid on better jobs. He became a technical writer, then went into engineering, which was what his degree was in. It was a roundabout way to get into the company, but they wouldn't even talk to him through usual channels.

Connie Mistler Davidson-Editor-ADD/Sandwiches/Reading
Attention Deficit Disorder
Sandwiches
Reading
Avatar: Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

My EBook link.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L
Hi Connie,

That sounds smart - and it all started with taking a realistic view and taking necessary action accordingly.

Not many people would do that, others might have rejected any chance of accepting another entry level style job because they didn't accept the hard work and personal sacrifice required or and long term potential in taking that step back.

I am doing some career counselling for a company at the moment (people who have been retrenched) and it is very obvious that many of these retrenchments should not have taken place - it was just poor planning and dreadful management. But it is a reality and so people just have to work with it.

Sadly, new companies are hesitant to listen to retrenchment reasons or even partake in 'intelligent' conversations on the topic. It seems they just want to avoid 'getting involved' and would prefer not to hire what a couple of client companies have said to me "someone else's rejects."

I am amazed at the short sightedness of this and the lack of understanding and compassion.

Anyway, this loss of skill and under utilization of sound skills and experience can only harm commerce and industry and the workplace as a whole.

On the other hand, I have just one company (marketing) who scoops up these people when they can. I can call them anytime if I think I find a retrenchee I think they should talk to. Smart moves.

Thanks

Lestie Mulholland
Container Gardening Editor

Contain your Delight - it's easy!

Moderated by  Dianne W - Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.