Print Thread
#917585 01/26/17 10:59 PM
L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L
Hello there,

I came across this quote and thought it so good and too good not to share. Makes you think doesn't it?

“A garden is the place millions of people go to touch the earth, to smell flowers – to use some of that fabled human brainpower in the cause of better participation with the natural processes in the place they call home. It serves as an art project, an organic produce market, a spiritual practice, a pharmacy. It offers ongoing lessons in ecology, biology, chemistry, geology, meteorology. Gardening imparts an organic perspective on the passage of time. It bestows on its practitioners a genuine sense of admiration for the plants, the soil, the sun, the water.

It is an excerpt from the book Why We Garden: Cultivating a Sense of Place 1994, by Jim Nollman

Hope your containers are behaving themselves as well as all intentions of all gardeners. I have just hired a sheepdog to chivvy mine into place, need to think about sorting out my ideas for my TO DO list with the gradual change of season in mind ... autumn is knocking on doors in some places just as spring waits impatiently to enter others.

I think it is worth making a pretty poster presentation of this somehow and displaying it up somewhere ... it's a container with a difference!

Cheers now

Last edited by Lestie4containergardens; 01/26/17 11:02 PM.

Lestie Mulholland
Container Gardening Editor

Contain your Delight - it's easy!
Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L
Wow - it's been a long time since I added anything to this thread so I thought I would start again today - I think it's always nice to have something to think about or disagree with or consider.

Wikipedia say of Marcus Tullius Cicero that he was a Roman politician and lawyer, who served as consul in the year 63 BC.

He came from a wealthy municipal family of the Roman equestrian order, and is considered one of Rome's greatest orators and prose stylists. He was born 3 January 106 BCE in Italy and was assassinated in 63 BCE.

He said

“If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”

I agree with him (only I'm biased and say he should have added the word container somewhere!) and have been surprised of late to meet several 'homes' without a book around, not even a superhero comic! No containers or gardens or plants either, just concrete (or similar) driveways.

You don't miss what you don't know about so I guess it's just me that feels sorry for the people living there. Anyway.

Please add your own favourite quotes, it would be nice to see what you're thinking about.

Cheers

Last edited by Lestie4containergardens; 08/08/17 05:36 AM.

Lestie Mulholland

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
The appropriately-named Amelia Bloomer compares the human mind to a garden:
Quote:
The human mind must be active, and the thoughts of woman's heart must find vent in some way; and if the garden of the mind instead of being highly cultivated, so that it may produce a rich harvest of fruits and flowers, is suffered to run to waste, it is not surprising that it yields nothing but weeds, briars, and thorns.

L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L
iow gigo ... in other words garbage in garbage out. Though Amelia Bloomer was not talking of garbage but of substance. Still. Lovely quote. Thanks Mona

Cheers

Lestie Mulholland

Moderated by  Lestie - ContainerGardens 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.