Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
Angela Josef, chavonne, HallieWVoegele, everythingbegins, pallavi04gaur
58297 Registered Users
Forum Stats
58,297 Registered Members
417 Forums
118,909 Topics
844,134 Posts

Most users ever online: 615 @ 04/22/15 10:11 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
Nancy Roussy 280
Mona - Astronomy 112
Angie 27
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading 24
Susan Helene Kramer 19
Celestine - Baptist Editor 18
Dianne W - Editor 17
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 17
Korie - California/Yoga/Knitting Editor 16
Angela - Drama Movies 16
Ad Income Supports Charity
Topic Options
#400034 - 03/28/08 01:33 PM Spiderwick endorsing bad diets for kids
BellaShorts Offline
Chipmunk

Loc: England
Hi everyone - I wrote an article on Spiderwick freebie stories in kids cookie-style cereal boxes and then ... guess what?

I went into McD's yesterday and saw Spiderwick promo stuff all over the burger counters!

Two high-sugar, high-fat, high-carb products we are trying to wean kids from - it's not easy encouraging them to eat veggies and fruit instead, but these books/hype products are not making it any better!

Is it the same over the pond? I'm not sure how I feel about positive products like books being associated with so-called negative junk food options!

#400045 - 03/28/08 02:04 PM Re: Spiderwick endorsing bad diets for kids [Re: BellaShorts]
SNC_Editor_Pam Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Loc: SE of Seattle
Originally Posted By: BellaShorts

I'm not sure how I feel about positive products like books being associated with so-called negative junk food options!

I have mixed feelings about that, too. On the one hand, I would rather children be introduced to books that engage them on a different level than, say, video games. And so many children have access to junk food cereal and fast food, that might be an effective way to promote literacy and a love of reading. As I understand it, there are some healthier options in Mickey D's children's meals ~ just as there are healthier options on cereal shelves. It's up to parents to exert our influence in the kitchen and grocery store as well as restaurants. It would be wonderful if advertisers of high interest items put their products on packaging for healthy choices as well as the best selling ~ but that is not how business works, is it?

Children are subjected to so many sophisticated marketing presentations that they will chose a rock over a piece of fruit at snacktime if the rock has a sticker of a cartoon character on it ~ so I do wonder if we should add one of those stickers to each banana, orange, apple and peach in the fruit bowl. Marketing books on fast food items seems more related to that, to me.

If I made better choices in the cereal aisle or fast food restaurants, I'd have a lot more to say about this topic.
{{{blush}}}
I have to say, I did buy cereal with Bee Movie items enclosed that I had not eaten in a while ~ and I have a child's watch from some frosted mini wheats I craved last month. Maybe I should get some Johnny Depp stickers to put on the oatmeal box.

Pam W
SE of Seattle

Eating Disorders and Children with Special Needs
www.bellaonline.com/articles/art49412.asp

Speech, Feeding Therapy and Early Intervention
www.bellaonline.com/articles/art47296.asp

Celiac Disease and Juvenile Diabetes
www.bellaonline.com/articles/art48740.asp

Down Syndrome and Diabetes Dual Diagnosis
www.bellaonline.com/articles/art32543.asp

#400065 - 03/28/08 02:49 PM Re: Spiderwick endorsing bad diets for kids [Re: SNC_Editor_Pam]
BellaShorts Offline
Chipmunk

Yes Pam, I see both pros and cons too! My son actually read the little Spiderwick book,(even though the presentation was poor) but I was SO aware of why we had actually made an exception and bought that cereal - so we fell in with the marketing hype. He was attracted by the Spiderwick promo.

However, about a year ago I hit on the idea of abandoning cereals. The irony is he actually prefers bread and peanut butter and coffee - at least sugar consumption is less!We have gone to back to that now - he doesnt want to finish that cereal!

#400096 - 03/28/08 03:33 PM Re: Spiderwick endorsing bad diets for kids [Re: BellaShorts]
BellaShorts Offline
Chipmunk

PS I'd be very interested to know if the McD's Happy Meals offer the healthy option - otherwise kids will not get the promo at all if they try to make a healthier choice!

#400108 - 03/28/08 04:19 PM Re: Spiderwick endorsing bad diets for kids [Re: BellaShorts]
CrochetQueen Offline

Gecko

Loc: Nevada
Just my 2 cents worth but since I AM the M O M, I limit that stuff period. I am one of "those" that believes I am in charge of what influences my kids and not the media.

#400612 - 03/30/08 02:07 AM Re: Spiderwick endorsing bad diets for kids [Re: CrochetQueen]
BellaShorts Offline
Chipmunk

Yes I agree CrochetQueen - we reserve those foods for rare purchases too.

I guess most families are trying to do the same. Just surprised that Spiderwick would choose to align themselves with less healthy foods.

Or is it worth it just once if a child starts taking an interest in the books?

#916682 - 12/30/16 01:37 PM Re: Spiderwick endorsing bad diets for kids [Re: BellaShorts]
Nancy Roussy Online   content
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity

Loc: Grand-M├ętis, Quebec, Canada
Kids and babies are not the ones buying their food so when children eat unhealthy foods it is totally the fault of the parents just like it is not the children's fault when they are fat, obese and have other health issues that are related with their diet.

Moderator:  Rebecca - Short Stories 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
Watercolor Card with Free Rebelle Stencil
by Digital Art and Animation
Digital Art and Design
Do Not Complain for 1 Month
by Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames
Buddhism
03:34 PM
Plant a Tree in a Pot
by Angie
Container Gardening
03:20 PM
DNA and Genealogy
by Angie
Genealogy
03:17 PM
Distance Learning, a new thing?
by Angie
Distance Learning
03:15 PM
What are you looking forward to today?
by Angie
Self Development
03:05 PM
Another Hollywood Player Accused of Harassment
by Angela - Drama Movies
Drama Movies
11:45 AM
Spiritual Food
by Celestine - Baptist Editor
Baptist
11:24 AM
New Drama Phantom Thread Trailer
by Angela - Drama Movies
Drama Movies
10:20 AM
body language
by Nancy Roussy
Job Search
09:41 AM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
0 registered (), 59 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2016 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.