Next Thread
Print Thread
#634623 10/03/10 11:39 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Is truth based upon belief, opinion and cultural values? Or, is truth based upon physical proof? What do you think?

What is Truth?

Last edited by Linda, Philosophy Editor; 10/03/10 11:46 AM.

Linda Paul
Tarot
Sponsored Post Advertisement
J
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
J
Originally Posted By: Linda, Philosophy Editor
Is truth based upon belief, opinion and cultural values? Or, is truth based upon physical proof? What do you think?
Hi Linda, what a difficult question as even scientific evidence has its flaws! (JOY)

Parakeet
Parakeet
What an awesome question, Linda, and an interesting article! I feel that there are different kinds of "truth." We can't ever be privy to all actual truths, but the open mind is one that really desires truth. A locked mind simply wants to be "right!" The examples you illustrated, like your sons' room and the oak, are perfect examples of this. As is the religious question...

Your sons each wanted to be right, and each had created a "reality" based on a portion of truth...but each had the same goal in mind...to get out of cleaning! In the end, they both walked away feeling as if their "truth" had served them. Had they each been open to the actual truth, which was they were both responsible for the mess, they would have been in touch with your goal, which was of course, a clean room! With the effort they both put into making the room clean again, they would have walked away with the sense of common unity and self worth...instead of their isolated feelings of separation from each other and you. From the truth.

I feel that the lies people nourish in their minds are far more easy to digest and accept than the truth...because they are comforting. The ego is happy, they get to be right, and don't have to face the humility of being...*GASP*....WRONG! LOL! But, in reality...the Emporor still had no clothes, regardless of what he believed the truth to be.

Truth sometimes hurts, but all important lessons do. For me, I would rather be hurt by truth than by lies! Humility is such an important feeling...it nurtures humbleness and openness to the world around you, and lists you as one part of the whole, instead of the center of it. While lies can be charming, they are separating influences, and serve only the person who creates them.

For religion, the actual truth is, you will never know the truth, therefore, *it doesn't matter.*

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts Shannon. I totally agree with you. It is diversity of thought and belief that makes our world the interesting place that it is. Sometimes I think that real truth can be as simple as a heartfelt smile from a stranger when you are having a bad day.

Linda Paul
Tarot
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Truth is that which resides in the soul of each individual person. Nahmaste.

Last edited by Phyllis, Native American; 10/05/10 10:06 PM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Amoeba
Amoeba
Truth mean everything for me. Life without Truth is nothing.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.