Next Thread
Print Thread
#647933 12/06/10 04:17 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
What is normal anyway? I have been struggling against the odds to make myself appear normal for the last 50 years. But.. being the rebel that I am.. and a philosopher to boot.. I always seem to do or say the wrong thing at the right time..lol.

What does the word normal imply to you?

A Sense of Normalcy

Last edited by Linda, Philosophy Editor; 12/06/10 04:22 PM.

Linda Paul
Tarot
Sponsored Post Advertisement
J
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
J
Originally Posted By: Linda, Philosophy Editor
...What does the word normal imply to you?
As you say Linda, 'normal' in one country or culture can easily be 'abnormal' in another. A complex subject! (JOY)

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
I enjoyed the article Linda and it set my thinking off in several directions, from whether anyone can ever be truly non-jugemental to whether anyone can ever be normal, for is it something one can judge for oneself or is it normalcy something that can only be created through the eyes of others?

Asha Sahni
Dreams Editor

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
I was thinking the other day about the trials and tribulations my 25 yesr old bi-polar son has gone through. He is a strong, compassionate and loving being these days..engaged to a beautiful woman and holding down a job he loves. But, it wasn't always that way. Throughout his first 8 years of schooling he was thought to be slow functioning and special needs. After taking an IQ test in his last year of junior high, he was found to have an IQ of 165. That changed things as far as the school was concerned. They tried to push him beyond his limits, and consequently he had a nervous break-down and quit school at 16.

One day, just before he quit school, he came home with a big red F on the top of a paper he had put his all into writing. It was based upon his own opinion(which the teacher had requested), but since his opinion did not agree with hers, she failed him. He said to me "Mom, never in my life have you called me a failure. What gives her the right?"

Indeed, what did give her the right?

I think that our culture really needs to review our standards of normalcy.. especially when it comes to children.

Linda Paul
Tarot
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
That is very true, it is very scary how one incident in a child's life can affect strongly how they view life for the remaining decades they live!

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
Linda, I am so sad that your son had to go through that. While Bi-polar Disorder is not the same as ADD, they do have some things in common. One of them is that there are often problems in school.

I have several articles on this on the ADD site. I invite you to read them and pass them along to your son.

He has had to work double-hard all of his life, I'm sure. It sounds like you did a fabulous job of mothering him.

Connie

Connie Mistler Davidson-Editor-ADD/Sandwiches/Reading
Attention Deficit Disorder
Sandwiches
Reading
Avatar: Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

My EBook link.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

Amoeba
Amoeba
I really enjoyed the article by Linda.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.