Next Thread
Print Thread
#912810 08/10/16 01:37 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human

The Moon has been the object of awe and fascination since our humanoid ancestors first looked up into the sky. Test your knowledge about Moon and maybe find out some interesting new facts about it.

The Moon - Quiz

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
This is a very simple diagram of a lunar eclipse. You can see that when the Sun, the Earth and the Moon are lined up correctly, the Earth's shadow will fall on the Moon. This only happens at the time of a full Moon, but not every full Moon. The Moon's orbit is tilted with respect to the Earth's orbit around the Sun, so the three bodies don't line up every month.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
The idea of the quarters of the Moon always used to confuse me. I couldn't quite see what looked like a half moon as the first quarter. Instead of considering the shapes that we see, we have to think of the whole cycle of phases divided into four quarters. It begins with the new Moon, and a quarter of the way through you have the waxing (growing) half Moon. A second quarter gives you a full Moon. Etc.

But it's still confusing, because these days we usually only use this terminology for the first and last quarters.
1. At the end of the first quarter, you end up with a half-illuminated Moon.
2. At the end of the second quarter you have a full Moon.
3. At the end of the third quarter it's another half Moon, but it's on the opposite side to the first quarter.
There's still another week to go until the end of the cycle, so I don't know how the third quarter also gets labeled as the last quarter. Mysteries abound.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
The Moon's orbit isn't circular, so the Moon isn't always the same distance from Earth. This diagram shows the apogee and perigee. Apogee is where it's farthest from Earth and perigee is where it's nearest. These distances vary from month to month.

However the Moon's orbit is more nearly circular than the diagram shows. It's exaggerated to show the idea more clearly.

K
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
K
This is part of the reason why tides vary from day to day, right? How does the moon influence the super-big tides at the Bay of Fundy?

"....and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make." - John Lennon
A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
I've been to the Bay of Fundy; the tide is amazing.

Moderated by  Mona - Astronomy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.