Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Mona! Thank you for this fact! I had no idea.

Michelle Anne Cope
Short Stories Editor

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
David Bowie was one of the most original, innovative and exciting performers of his or any other time. He died yesterday.

Astronaut Chris Hadfield sang a version of Bowie's "Major Tom" on the International Space Station. Bowie was delighted, posting on Facebook that it was “possibly the most poignant version of the song ever created”.

Hadfield tweeted his tribute:

Ashes to ashes, dust to stardust. Your brilliance inspired us all. Goodbye Starman.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Beautiful Tribute, Mona! Thank you so much for sharing!
I was fortunate to see David Bowie in concert many many moons ago!

Michelle Anne Cope
Short Stories Editor

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Studio Brussels commemorated David Bowie by getting the MIRA Observatory folk to design "a constellation" - it's actually an asterism. (See Constellation or Asterism?) Here's the lightning bolt in the sky. I can't see it catching on. It looks great as a drawing, but the only bright star in it is Spica.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Ah, television, a treasure trove of misinformation. Such as the report of Apollo 10 astronauts hearing strange music on the far side of the Moon. (At least this assumes they were in space and not in Nevada while Kubrick directs the movie!)

NASA says no. Well, they would, wouldn't they? But they do also point out that although Apollo 10 audio clips were only uploaded in 2012, the
Quote:
audio recordings have been available at the National Archives since the early 1970s.

Apollo 10 Lunar Module Pilot Gene Cernan said, 'I don't remember that incident exciting me enough to take it seriously. It was probably just radio interference. Had we thought it was something other than that we would have briefed everyone after the flight. We never gave it another thought.'"

Cernan also said that the only music they had were tapes they took with them and played on a cassette recorder. (How quaint.)

Transcript
Audio

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Country singer & songwriter Brad Paisley, inspired by NASA and space exploration, sings his American Flag on the Moon.

A nice change from the it-was-all-faked attitude of many Americans. But the way things are shaping up - or not - the next flag on the Moon may be placed there by Chinese astronauts.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Vangelis, who won an oscar for his music for Chariots of Fire, has created his first new studio album in 18 years. He was inspired by ESA's Rosetta mission to make the album Rosetta, which will be released by Decca Records on September 23rd. One week later Rosetta's 12-year mission to Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko will end with Rosetta making a controlled descent to the comet's surface.

The lander Philae is of course, already on the comet's surface. In 2014 Vangelis wrote three pieces of music to mark its landing. Mark McCaughrean, Senior Science Advisor in the Directorate of Science said,
Quote:
So you can imagine how proud we were when one of the world’s great composers Vangelis made some music for us at the time of landing, and how excited we are that he’s put together a whole album of original music about this astonishing adventure.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
More Vangelis: Unreleased music suite - Cosmos Special Edition 1986 by Vangelis The person who put the music on You Tube wrote:
Quote:
Here's something very rare: a suite of unreleased music Vangelis composed for the special edition of Carl Sagan's Cosmos in 1986, the tv documentary serie that originally started already in 1980. The suite is compiled from 6 Movement songs. I omitted the sixth movement since it's the same as the only song that is commercially released as Comet 16.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Inspired by the Rosetta Mission, an extraordinary and ground-breaking project by the European Space Agency [ESA] to land a probe on a comet for the first time in history, composer Vangelis has created this suite of music especially for ESA. The album marks the culmination of the 12-year mission in September 2016 and accompanies some incredible footage captured by the probe.

“Mythology, science and space exploration are subjects that have fascinated me since my early childhood. And they were always connected somehow with the music I write.” - Vangelis

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
There is plenty of music mentioning or celebrating our natural satellite, the Moon. Artificial satellites haven't been quite so inspiring in musical terms. However the first active telecommunications satellite - Telstar 1 - was an exception. It was quite a novelty and inspired English musician Joe Meek to write the song "Telstar" and for the Tornados to record it. It was a number 1 hit in both the USA and in Britain.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Mona - Astronomy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.