Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#905029 12/31/15 02:16 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Here's something cool - and the whole family can do it - for 2016. Make this the year that you start looking at the night sky.

Absolute Beginners - Start Observing
You'd like to know the night sky better? But you haven't a got a telescope,live in a city, don't know any constellations or can't tell a star from a planet? Time to give up? Absolutely not. Time to read on and look up.

Last edited by Mona - Astronomy; 01/02/16 02:57 PM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
What's of special interest in January? Jane Houston Jones tells us What's up. And it looks like what's up is Jupiter and its moons.

Although it's easy enough to spot bright Jupiter in the sky, in order to see the moons you need binoculars, or of course, a telescope if you have one.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
The Quadrantid meteor shower is expected to peak on the night of January 3/4. If you catch it, the peak rate is very impressive. However, the maximum lasts just a few hours and you'll miss it if it doesn't fall between midnight and dawn in your part of the world.

The International Meteor Organization predicts a peak on Monday the 4th, centered on 3 a.m. Eastern Standard Time - and midnight on the west coast. So if they're right, this is good news for North Americans. However a different model predicts a peak 8 hours earlier, which would be great for Europe.

I guess we won't know until later in the day on Monday.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
From Space.com:
At dawn on Thursday, Dec. 31, the four brightest planets outline the ecliptic, the path followed by the sun and moon. The moon visits each in turn over the next week.

(Image credit: Space.com with Starry Night software)

Quote:
Weather permitting, the planets Jupiter, Mars, Venus and Saturn will be visible stretching across the dawn sky right along the ecliptic (the invisible line that the sun follows across the sky).

You can find out more about the ecliptic in ABC of Astronomy - E is for Ecliptic.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Spaceweather.com reported today:
Quote:

NASA's network of all-sky meteor cameras recorded 40 Quadrantid fireballs over the continental USA. Many people missed the show, preferring to stay inside on a cold winter night. "Here in Ontario (Canada), the temperature outside was -15 F," says Malcolm Park. "I decided to let my camera do the observing for me."

Click to see Park's composite image of the Quadrantids that he saw in Bloomfield, Ontario.

Last edited by Mona - Astronomy; 01/04/16 03:25 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Ian Morison from Jodrell Bank in England has a splendid collection of interesting things to see. He's now looking at the January sky, but the same URL will take you to the current month whenever you are.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
What does every astronomer need? Most people would answer "a telescope." But, actually, binoculars are the best way to start observing the sky. Many experienced astronomers use them in addition to a telescope. Here is some guidance about getting started.

Start Observing - with Binoculars

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Tomorrow morning - worth a look!
Venus and Saturn, brilliant in the southeastern sky before dawn, come within o.1° of each other on the morning of January 9.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
This Week's Sky at a Glance January 8-16 comes to you courtesy of Sky & Telescope magazine.

Lots of ideas for things to see. I'd love to hear what you see.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Want to see all five visible planets - Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn - in the sky together? It's possible for about a month starting January 20th. But you have to get up early to see them before dawn.

You can use the Moon as guide from January 27 to February 6. SeaSky has made some helpful charts for mid-northern North American latitudes, but – local conditions permitting – you can see them from anywhere.

In these 2 charts the moon appears larger than it does in the real sky. Mid-northern latitudes in Europe and Asia see the planets similarly positioned, with the moon somewhat offset toward the previous date. Spica is a star in the constellation Virgo. The green line on the above chart is the the ecliptic.

South to southwest

Southeast to south

Last edited by Mona - Astronomy; 01/20/16 04:46 AM.
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Here is a photo taken ten days ago. The bright object is Venus. Saturn is above and to the right. The third bright object in this image – slightly below and to the right of Venus – is the red star Antares in the constellation Scorpius.

The pre-dawn sky is even better now, with five planets in it!

(Photo credit: Tom Wildoner in White Haven, Pennsylvania, taken January 11, 2016.)

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Sky & Telescope magazine has some guidance to this week's sky at a glance.

It includes a diagram to seeing five planets before dawn.

A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
Mona, might be able to see Mars and Jupiter but the others are too low on the horizon and the trees are too tall.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Angie, I like trees, but it's annoying when they're blocking my view of something I want to see. I'm surrounded by buildings, so don't have much of a sky view - oh, and cloudy skies, of course. Given a clear sky (Ha! So likely!) I'd be able to see something when I get out of the city week after next.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
In What's up in February? Jane Huston Jones tells us what we can see in the sky - without optical aids, with binoculars, and - if you have one - with a telescope.

There's also a transcript of the short video in case you want to make a note of some of the events.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Bob King of Sky & Telescope writes
Quote:
People ask me whether they might still see "five planets in a row," and my answer remains an emphatic "yes!". But there's a deadline coming, so I encourage you to have a look at dawn either this week or early next. By Valentine's Day, the show's pretty much over. Five will drop to four.

Have a look to find out what you can see. But don't leave it too long!

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
The Moon is currently waxing full – it will be full on Monday February 22nd. When the Moon is waxing full, watch out for Moon Halos. This picture of a Moon halo was taken on February 15th by Carl Richards in Northumberland, England. A Moon halo is created by ice crystals in high clouds which bend the moonlight into a ring.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
A reminder from Steve Cariddi about what we can see this week:
Quote:
The Moon, just past full, will be near Jupiter on the evening of the 23rd (Tuesday). About half an hour before dawn on the morning of the 24th (and any day later this week) you should still be able to see the Moon and Jupiter in the west, with three other planets visible in the sky. Mars will be high in the south-southwest, Saturn will be high in the south-southeast. Farther towards the east (to the left), bright Venus will be easy to spot near the horizon.

Last edited by Mona - Astronomy; 02/22/16 07:46 AM.
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Last night (the 23rd) we had a beautifully clear sky and were walking through a park with subdued lighting. The sky was wonderful. And I was especially taken with a luminous Jupiter close to the bright nearly-full Moon. I hope some of you were able to see it too.

Last edited by Mona - Astronomy; 03/08/16 12:19 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Steve Cariddi tells us for this week:

Jupiter is nearing opposition, so it rises right around sunset and is visible all night. Just before dawn, Mars is visible in the south, Saturn is a little to the left (east) in the south-southeastern sky, and Venus is shining brightly low in the east-southeastern sky. The Moon will be near Mars on February 29th; on the 1st it will be between Mars and Saturn (with red Antares below it), and on the morning of March 2nd the Moon will be near Saturn.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Have you seen Jupiter yet? It's at opposition tonight, which is when it's closest to us, but it's been beautifully visible for some while and will continue to be. It rises in the east around sunset and moves westward across the southern sky - it's visible all night long (weather & local obstacles permitting). You should be able to pick out Jupiter quite easily because it's amazingly bright. Or if you can find the constellation Leo, that's where you'll see Jupiter.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Steve Caridi of the Year in Space has some hints on

The Sky this Week
Jupiter shines steadily in the eastern sky as night begins. The Moon passes by on Monday evening. Don't confuse Jupiter with similarly bright Sirius, which is farther west (right) and closer to Orion. Mars and Saturn rise around midnight local time. Look for them in the south before sunrise, about 11° apart (Mars on the right, Saturn on the left). The star Antares is below them, forming the apex of an inverted triangle. Antares is dimmer than the Red Planet, but shines with a similar reddish hue.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Mars is still a bright object in the night sky - it definitely has a reddish color to it. But have a look out for Saturn too, which is also quite bright. You may see it with a slightly yellowish tinge. Brian Ventrudo tells you how to find it. The planet is closer than usual and even a small telescope should let you see its rings.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Brian Ventrudo tells us about celestial sights for August.

He points out that August is possibly the best month for sky-watching because
Quote:
for northern-hemisphere observers, the weather is still warm but much of the unsettled and humid summer air dissipates and skies become, on average, drier and clearer. Observers in the southern hemisphere enjoy warmer weather as winter nears an end, and the center of the Milky Way, the starriest part of the night sky, still lies just past overhead.

And of course the big treat of August is the Perseid meteor shower, expected to peak on the night of August 11-12. There will be more about the Perseids in a separate forum thread. But in fact the Perseids are already active now, so if you have a nice dark sky - I wish I did! - you might see a few if you're outdoors at night.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Come on, everybody. August is a great time to look at the sky - and you won't get as cold as you do in winter. In this video Jane Houston Jones of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory gives you the lowdown on what you can see in August.

If you want a transcript or download of the content, here is the page for What's up - August 2018.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
There are five planets planets and the Moon in the evening sky from August 7th-11th. How much of this alignment you can see depends on things like what time the Sun sets, how much light pollution you have and of course, how clear the sky is.

Yuri Beletsky's photo caught three planets and the Moon over the bright lights of Santiago, Chile on August 6. He could also see Saturn and Mars, but not get them in the frame.

SpaceWeather.com has a sky map showing tonight's alignment.

A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
Beautiful photo over Santiago, Chili.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Angie, have you been able to see any of this planetary alignment. A friend in London reported seeing a nice little grouping with the Moon. I have a nice view to the southwest, but alas all I see each evening is the clouds rolling in to hide it. Sigh.

A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
The sky has been very dark here at night - It has been overcast and showery.

A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
Mona, Tonight we had a heavy shower but this evening the sky is not cloudy. The moon doesn't have a halo so I know it was clear. I could see the moon and to the south there were two bright lights (Mars and Saturn?) and to the northwest (I'm guessing my directions) a very bright start which I would guess is the North Star?

{They aren't labeled like on the photo. eek }

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Angie, I have long thought that the celestial sphere could be greatly improved by some smart labeling!

But have a look at the website Heavens-above. You can get a sky chart not only for your location but for the time you were observing. That would give you a good idea of what you were seeing. I doubt that the bright star was Polaris, as it's not all that bright. Might even have been another planet. I haven't seen anything but clouds - an occasional glimpses of the Moon - for so long, I can't really visualize it. I do know I haven't seen any stray Perseids.

If you have questions about the website which the article doesn't cover, just ask.

A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
It was pretty bright - the sky was clear last night but I saw only the planets, I guess. Stars don't really show up well.

The night sky app showed the moon, two planets to its left and one bright object to its right. There are so many trees on my street. Guess I will have to drive to an open location but there are few of them.

I sent my son the email about the night sky and they did go out to look. Today people tend to stay indoors; many are watching the Olympics. Tonight I will try again and with binoculars.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Brian Ventrudo tells us what to look for in the October sky. As the nights are getting noticeably longer in northern skies, there are more opportunities for looking up!

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Sierra Club's Kelly Kizer Whitt offers some October viewing highlights. (Click on the link to see the full article. The following is a summary.)

1. The Orionid Meteor Shower
It will peak overnight from October 21 to 22, but you might catch Orionid meteors any night between October 2 and November 7. The dust and debris burning up in Earth’s atmosphere is left over from Halley’s Comet.

2. The Moon
October’s full moon (Hunter’s Moon) is on October 15. Being mid-month, there are - in some places - new moons at the beginning and end of October. The first one was actually on September 30 in the USA, but on October 1 farther east. On October 30 there is another new moon, sometimes called a “black moon”. On Halloween night, you may catch a sliver of the young crescent moon in the west just before it sets. Bright Venus will also be in the west, with Saturn to its upper right.

3. Moon Pairings
On October 18, the moon rises in the constellation Taurus—specifically in the Hyades cluster of stars. Over the course of the evening and into the morning hours, the moon will get closer and closer to the bright star Aldebaran, actually passing in front of it or just skimming by, depending on your location.

4. The Galaxy Next Door
Fall is the season for seeing our nearest spiral galaxy, Andromeda. It’s part of the constellation of the same name. To find it, locate the W shape of the nearby Cassiopeia constellation, and follow the right half down to its end point. The Andromeda Galaxy (M31) can be seen without any optical aid, but it’s best to look with a telescope or binoculars first to nail down the location.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
If you have a clear fairly dark sky, you should be out looking for Orionids this week. You're most likely to see them in the late evening - for insomniacs and shift workers, around midnight can be good!

The peak of the Orionid meteor shower is expected on either Thursday night/Friday morning or Friday night/Saturday morning. Either night should produce some meteors if the sky is clear. In fact, there have been Orionids around for the last two weeks.

Last edited by Mona - Astronomy; 10/19/16 12:17 AM.
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Brian Ventrudo tells us about November highlights. There are three meteor showers, though probably none of them are likely to be spectacular. I'm looking forward to seeing a bright Venus reappear after sunset, always a beautiful sight.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Were you looking up at the sunset sky last night (November 2)? The crescent Moon, Venus and Saturn made a lovely triangle, bright enough to be seen even in urban areas.

Photo credit: Jingpeng Liu, Lincoln, Nebraska USA

N
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
N
Wow, beautiful picture!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Mona - Astronomy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/08/24 07:45 AM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.