Print Thread
Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14
Mona - Astronomy #903491 11/26/15 07:24 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Here is a very rare sight - a moonbow. Like a rainbow, a moonbow involves rain and sunlight. BUT it isn't created by direct sunlight being refracted by rain clouds. It's moonlight (which is reflected sunlight) being refracted by rain clouds.

Víðir Björnsson took this picture near Stykkishólmur, West Iceland, Sunday evening. What a wonderful thing to see.

Last edited by Mona - Astronomy; 11/26/15 07:25 AM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
On December 7, a crescent Moon and Venus appeared close together in the sky. This is called a conjunction. In this photo you can also see Comet Catalina if you look at the bottom of the picture, somewhat left of center. The comet has two tails, a dust tail and an ion tail. The Moon is lit both by the Sun and by earthshine. Exquisite picture. (Credit: Greg Hogan)

Click to find out more about Comets or about Earthshine.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Spaceweather.Com says that "An outbreak of polar stratospheric clouds (PMCs) is underway around the Arctic Circle." I've spent the last ten days in or near the Arctic Circle and have seen lots of clouds, but haven't seen anything that looked like these beauties.

Apparently these are polar stratospheric clouds and they form at some 25 km above the Earth's surface, much higher than normal clouds. The picture was taken by Sarah Skinner in Abisko, Sweden.

Atmospheric optics expert Les Cowley says
Quote:
Nacreous clouds far outshine and have much more vivid colours than ordinary iridescent clouds, which are very much poor relations and seen frequently all over the world. Once seen they are never forgotten.

I can certainly believe that.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
One of the many beautiful skyskapes from Randy Halverson of Dakotalapse. A treasure - especially for those of us (i.e., most of us these days) who views of the night sky are obscured by light pollution.

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
The sky is awesome. That is why astronomers of old studied the heavens.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
The night here is cold and clear for the time being. The sky looks beautiful. When I was a little girl, I worried that the stars were cold.

Michelle Anne Cope
Short Stories Editor

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
On February 1st - St Brigid's Day - beautiful pastel-colored clouds were seen across Ireland and parts of England. These clouds form high in the atmosphere where ice crystals refract sunlight.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Mona, amazing! Did you take this photograph? It's beautiful. Almost like cotton candy.

Michelle Anne Cope
Short Stories Editor

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
No, I didn't take the picture. I've never seen polar stratospheric clouds (their technical name), also called nacreous clouds. They're unusual to see them at these altitudes, and I've never been lucky enough to see any in Norway either. They're still rate, but more likely to be seen at high latitudes. I saw the St Brigid's Day story on a news report, but there are some other pictures of them in this thread.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
A few days ago (March 11) a geomagnetic storm had people even as far south as south Wales out looking at aurorae. A few of them also saw light pillars. Here is a zoom of the sky. [Image credits: Allan Trow and Andy Burns]

The pillars are caused by ice crystals in the atmosphere reflecting light and are more likely to be seen in polar regions than in the Rhigos mountains in south Wales. Local astronomers think the light reflected could have come from the Port Talbot steelworks which are just over the other side of the mountain.

Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14

Moderated by  Mona - Astronomy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.