Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Here is a massive young galaxy cluster called IDCS J1426.5+3508 (IDCS 1426 for short). The image is a combined one from three space observatories – the blue is X-ray from Chandra, visible light from Hubble is yellow-green, and red is infrared light detected by Spitzer. The cluster is some 10 billion light years from Earth with a mass equal to nearly 500 trillion Suns.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
A mosaic image of the starburst galaxy Messier 82. A starburst galaxy is one with a high rate of new star formation. In M82's central regions young stars are being born 10 times faster than in our Milky Way. The webs of shredded clouds and flame-like plumes of glowing hydrogen are coming from the region of stellar nurseries.

Credit: NASA, ESA and the Hubble Heritage Team STScI/AURA). Acknowledgment: J. Gallagher (University of Wisconsin), M. Mountain (STScI) and P. Puxley (NSF).

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
The Milky Way is headed at two million kilometers per hour towards who-knows-what? The mystery area that's pulling our galaxy and many others had been dubbed the Great Attractor, but what is it and exactly where is it?

A group of researchers in Australia haven't quite solved the forty-year-old mystery, but it looks as though the mystery may be unraveling. Using the Parkes radio telescope, they've discovered hundreds of galaxies hidden from view beyond the Milky Way. However their presence has been detected using the radio telescope. There are massive clusters and superclusters whose mass must be influencing our galaxy.

If you saw the delightful Australian film The Dish, you may recognize the Parkes radio telescope, which was "the dish".

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
British astronaut Tim Peake, on board the International Space Station, took a picture of Dark Clouds of Gas in the Milky Way. I can see the dusty clouds, but - wow! - what I mostly see are stars, stars, stars. How beautiful.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
I've seen (and posted) pictures of starburst galaxies before. They're galaxies with an exceptionally high rate of star formation going on. But I don't think I've seen anything like this one - a jewelled hook known as J082354.96 to its close friends.

Credit: ESA/Hubble & NASA, M. Hayes

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Most galaxies are classified as either spiral or elliptical, but there are also some irregular ones which have no defined shape. Here is an example - this Hubble Space Telescope picture of NGC 5408 is gorgeous, but you won't see any shape to it.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Meet the beautiful barred spiral galaxy NGC 1365, about 60 million light years away from us in the constellation Fornax. It's the dominant member of the Fornax galaxy cluster. The image shows
Quote:
intense star forming regions at the ends of the bar and along the spiral arms, and details of dust lanes cutting across the galaxy's bright core. At the core lies a supermassive black hole.

Image Credit & Copyright: Dietmar Hager, Eric Benson, Torsten Grossmann

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Mona - Astronomy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.