Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
The number of times NASA has made the great discovery of water on Mars is only matched, I think, by the number of times Voyager has left the Solar System.

However in the past the discoveries were, for example, (1) indirect evidence (2) water frozen in the polar caps (3) geochemical evidence. But they now have evidence of surface water, which is able to exist because its salt content lowers the freezing point.

If there is now - not just in the distant past - running water on Mars, it means there is a greater possibility that there is life there.

These long streaks are inferred to have been formed by contemporary flowing water. (NASA/JPL/University of Arizona)

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Google has celebrated NASA's discovery with one of its doodles. I had a little laugh at their Evidence of water found on Mars.

BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
Mona, it is a fantastic exciting discovery! Thanks for the link to the doodle.

smile

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
In addition to the recent report that there is occasionally surface water on Mars, Curiosity has provided evidence of an ancient basin where Mount Sharp now stands.

The Curiosity rover team has published a report on their findings from the rover's explorations. They confirm that between about 3.8 to 3.3 billion years ago, “long-lived streams and lakes . . . [delivered] sediment that slowly built up the lower layers of Mount Sharp.” There are geological strata that dip towards the base of the mountain, indicating the flow of water towards a basin that existed before most of the mountain did.

Ancient Mars was wetter and warmer and had a much thicker atmosphere than it does today. In fact, it more closely resembled Earth. One of the big questions now is what changed it into the arid and almost airless planet that it is now.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
There are organisms on Earth called extremophiles. What they all have in common is that they thrive in conditions that you would think impossible, e.g., extreme acidity or high levels of ionizing radiation. Some of them can live in temperatures that are below freezing. An example is a bacterium discovered in 2013, Planococcus halocryophilus OR1 which lives in permanently frozen ground. It's very happy at -15 degrees Celsius (5 degrees Fahrenheit) and was observed as active and respiring at -25 C (-13 F). The bacterium lives inside veins of salty water. The high salt content keeps the water in the veins from freezing.

The surface water recently discovered on Mars is also able to flow because of its high salt content. (And in some places that get icy and snowy, they put salt on the roads for this reason.)

BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
HA HA.... so, at first I read this as "There are organizations on Earth called extremophiles." And I was imagining a group of people living in these difficult conditions wink

Yay for Mars having water. I guess??

Deanna Joseph

Visit the New Age Site and Forums

What are your Soul Gifts? Discover your true nature and potential, and learn who you are on a Soul Level with a Soul Realignmentâ„¢ reading.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Hehehe. I don't know of extremophile organizations as such, Deanna, but there are strange extreme sport enthusiasts around. I'd nominate extreme ironing as the most ridiculous. People carry ironing boards to strange places and iron something. Here is an example. Can't imagine carrying an ironing board around (Ouch! There goes my back and shoulder!), trying to drag it up a rock I couldn't climb anyhow (Eek! Knee! Vertigo!) and then ironing something, which I rarely do in good conditions . . . .

Moderated by  Mona - Astronomy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.